Licorice: food of the Gods?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alp1950

onlyhuman said:
Thanks for that ASC. You've admitted you have no idea how much of the dangerous ingredient is in the licorice we eat, and no idea how relatively dangerous that ingredient is, nevertheless you're prepared to say there are "certainly significant health risks".

So you are spreading a scare story. To stop it being a scare story, you would need to add some quantification.

The adverse effects of liquorice have long been recognised being documented in pharmacology textbooks published thirty years ago.

Quantification? I've no idea whether anyone will have undertaken a dose-response study in the past- frankly I doubt it- but there will be plenty of papers in the medical literature on the adverse effects of liquorice if you care to research this.

jimboalee

I take back all I said about Milk and Honey.

While this blessed site was 'off air', I had a sudden thought about a passage in Genisis 4.

[And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.

And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD.
And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering: But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect.]

Which says to me God prefered the meat of the animal rather than the veg of the ground.

So it's meat.:tongue:

onlyhuman said:
Licorice is low in fat. The Australian soft licorice I have is anyway, it says on the packet. The main ingredient is wheat flour.

Malt loaf was my other candidate for Food of the Gods. Sticking a lot of butter on it would tend to up the fat content though. And you don't have to put butter on licorice.

You don't have to put butter on malt loaf. When I was cycling a lot I used to eat a whole malt loaf like a chocolate bar before a ride. They don't half keep the pedals turning.

jimboalee

tyred said:
But think of the carbon footprint...:laugh:

Even earlier in Genisis 3.

[And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden.]

Yes, God had a footprint. ;)

jimboalee

Tollers said:
Soft liqorice is ok......but i love Basetts basetti. The hard studd that tears out your teeth trying to gnaw through it.

http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/bassetti-p-460.html

Tollers

"I shall go against my doctrine now by saying "There are worse 'Babbling fools' on here than I"."
Jimboalee 2009.

Here's one of those.

EVERY motion of your body ( including chewing a brick of hard liquorice ) spends energy that could otherwise be propelling the bike in a forward direction.

Top Bottom