Licorice: food of the Gods?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
er i'm a lass ... :evil:

Happiness Stan

I thought the salty kind was Dutch. And do you know why liquorice was eaten by adults - it acts as a good phlem shifter if you smoke. If you are feeling a bit chesty this autumn, get some quality liquorice down you -the Dutch (inveterate smokers the lot of them) salty type is excellent. Good source of B12 as well.

Just to let you know, regular liquorice eating has been shown to lower testosterone levels. http://medherb.com/Materia_Medica/Glycyrrhiza_-_Licorice_root_and_testosterone.htm
As we are all elite athletes on here I thought it would be something to consider.

OP
OP
onlyhuman

onlyhuman

Twenty Inch said:
Have you tried that salty Swedish liquorice yet?

I used to live in Holland, where I developed a taste for their salty and sometimes ammonia-flavoured licorice, which they call "drop". It comes in 100s
of different shapes and flavours, and is highly addictive.

I recently ordered a lot of weird Scandinavian licorice and other sweets off a website, including this stuff (text from wikipedia):

Tyrkisk Peber (Danish for "Turkish Pepper", often referred to as "Turkinpippuri" in Finland, "Tyrkisk pepper" in Norway and "Turkisk peppar" in Sweden) is a strong liquorice candy flavored with ammonium chloride (salmiakki) and pepper, made by the Finnish company Fazer and popular in the country. Tyrkisk Peber was originally invented by Per Fjelsten in 1976 [1] [2] and made by the Danish company Perelly, which was taken over by Fazer.
The basic variant is a large, hollow round shell both coated and filled with salmiakki powder. It is sold in dark blue bags. The Tyrkisk Peber product family has recently expanded to include the “Hot & Sour” (a milder variant of the traditional design, produced in four different flavours) and “Bonfire” (soft, much milder candies) bagged variants, as well as lollipops and filled licorice. There has also been a chili flavored version and a strongly licorice-flavored version with less of the ammonium chloride and peppercorn flavoring, but these have since been discontinued. The licorice-flavored variant can still be found as one of the flavors in the “Hot & Sour” bags, though. Tyrkisk Peber ice cream is sold by Hjem-IS/Kotijäätelö in Norway and Finland.[3]
It no doubt adds to their popularity that Tyrkisk Peber is sometimes used to make the Finnish cocktail salmiakkikoskenkorva and similar Danish, Norwegian and Swedish cocktails. When Perelly manufactured Tyrkish Peber, it was also available as powder. The powder was often used to make the cocktail, which in Denmark is known as sorte svin, små grå, or hot shot, in Sweden as lakritsshot, and in Norway as tyrker, små grå, or lakrisshot.

But really I don't think this stuff is terribly good for you, and I am only planning to use the soft, unsalted-and-peppered Australian lic as cycling nutrition.

Twenty Inch said:
Have you tried that salty Swedish liquorice yet?

Yes, and I think it's delicious. But - and whether or not this is related I don't know - when I ate a lot of it I found I was suffering from pretty regular nosebleeds. I don't know whether the salty liquorice actually raised my blood pressure, but it's worth bearing in mind. When I stopped eating it (ie when I ran out), my nosebleeds stopped.

OP
OP
onlyhuman

onlyhuman

Rhythm Thief said:
Yes, and I think it's delicious. But - and whether or not this is related I don't know - when I ate a lot of it I found I was suffering from pretty regular nosebleeds. I don't know whether the salty liquorice actually raised my blood pressure, but it's worth bearing in mind. When I stopped eating it (ie when I ran out), my nosebleeds stopped.

I have heard that the Dutch version is bad for your blood pressure.

ASC1951

Guru
Rhythm Thief said:
I don't know whether the salty liquorice actually raised my blood pressure, but it's worth bearing in mind. When I stopped eating it (ie when I ran out), my nosebleeds stopped.
That's very likely. Certainly chewing liquorice root has that effect - best to avoid prolonged use.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Well I'll have to wait for my Pontefract cakes but I did find some liquorice in Sainsbury's.

Haven't eaten any in ages and then this thread comes along.

Fiona N

Veteran
onlyhuman said:
I used to live in Holland, where I developed a taste for their salty and sometimes ammonia-flavoured licorice, which they call "drop". It comes in 100s
of different shapes and flavours, and is highly addictive.

I recently ordered a lot of weird Scandinavian licorice and other sweets off a website, including this stuff (text from wikipedia):

Tyrkisk Peber (Danish for "Turkish Pepper", often referred to as "Turkinpippuri" in Finland, "Tyrkisk pepper" in Norway and "Turkisk peppar" in Sweden) is a strong liquorice candy flavored with ammonium chloride (salmiakki) and pepper, made by the Finnish company Fazer and popular in the country. Tyrkisk Peber was originally invented by Per Fjelsten in 1976 [1] [2] and made by the Danish company Perelly, which was taken over by Fazer.
The basic variant is a large, hollow round shell both coated and filled with salmiakki powder. It is sold in dark blue bags. The Tyrkisk Peber product family has recently expanded to include the “Hot & Sour” (a milder variant of the traditional design, produced in four different flavours) and “Bonfire” (soft, much milder candies) bagged variants, as well as lollipops and filled licorice. There has also been a chili flavored version and a strongly licorice-flavored version with less of the ammonium chloride and peppercorn flavoring, but these have since been discontinued. The licorice-flavored variant can still be found as one of the flavors in the “Hot & Sour” bags, though. Tyrkisk Peber ice cream is sold by Hjem-IS/Kotijäätelö in Norway and Finland.[3]
It no doubt adds to their popularity that Tyrkisk Peber is sometimes used to make the Finnish cocktail salmiakkikoskenkorva and similar Danish, Norwegian and Swedish cocktails. When Perelly manufactured Tyrkish Peber, it was also available as powder. The powder was often used to make the cocktail, which in Denmark is known as sorte svin, små grå, or hot shot, in Sweden as lakritsshot, and in Norway as tyrker, små grå, or lakrisshot.
That is possibly the most esoteric post I've read on this forum - well done!

BTW if you're ever cycling through Gargrave (near Skipton), there's an excellent small cafe on the northern side of town on the A65 which also has a superb collection of old fashioned sweeties for sale (as well as old fashioned puddings like treacle tart in the cafe). Not sure about coltsfoot rock (hated the stuff as a kid) but definitely pontefract cakes. Did you know they were made there as Pontefract was a centre of the liquorice root growing area? Thank goodness nobody even thought to combine it with that other nearby regional produce - rhubarb xx( (the mixture that is - rhubarb itself is lovely stuff)

Top Bottom