Lid goes back on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is about my cycle helmet, but more for idle chatter and observation than proper debate.

I went on a wet sunday afternoon ride with our youngest (14). He was an occasional and reluctant helmet wearer, but now seems keen to wear one. I don't know the reason for the change of heart.

He wore a helmet yesterday; I wore a beanie. That is usually how it goes.

On the way home he did what his elder sister tried at eight - he said I ought to wear a helmet and he wouldn't if I didn't. So I said I'd carry it on my elbow for him...

Then he said he was serious and in future he wouldn't ride with me unless I wore one. I am completely on the fence on this one, so it goes back on. I seem to have been born spineless.

Interestingly, he is more affected than his older siblings by what isconsidered 'cool'. I wasn't surprised when he pretty much dumped helmets at twelve. This is an unpredicted volta face. I suspect it might involve the thinking of one or another inamorata. His texting behaviour suggests that love has entered the room.

I giggled as we rode home after his moral victory (me still in a beanie but probably for the last time for a while). In mixed rain and hot, damp air, he got an incredibly itchy scalp under his helmet... Tee hee. That'll learn him to make demands of his elders.

But he wins; if I want to ride with him (and I do) then I must put my absurd early-nineties hat on.

Last edited:
Reactions: GBC

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
just clip him round the lug... cheeky blighter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom