Keeping safe and being seen on the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
NEWSFLASH:
I have settled the debate by soliciting an opinion from our AI overlords.

Q:is wearing a cycle helmet safer than not wearing a cycle helmet?
A: W earing a cycle helmet is generally considered to be safer than not wearing one. Cycle helmets are designed to absorb and distribute the force of an impact to the head, which can help to reduce the risk of head injury in the event of a crash. Studies have shown that wearing a helmet can reduce the risk of head injury by up to 60% in the event of a crash. In addition, helmets can also help to reduce the severity of head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries, which can have long-lasting and even life-threatening consequences.

However, it's important to note that helmets are not a guarantee of safety, and they do not provide complete protection against all types of head injuries. Cyclists should also take other safety measures, such as obeying traffic laws, wearing high-visibility clothing, using lights and reflectors on their bikes, and being aware of their surroundings. Overall, wearing a cycle helmet is a simple and effective way to reduce the risk of head injury while cycling, and it is recommended for all cyclists to wear a helmet when riding their bikes.

Q: what studies from the last 5 years support the wearing of cycle helmets
A: There have been several studies conducted in the last five years that support the wearing of cycle helmets. Here are a few examples:

1. A 2018 study published in the journal Injury Prevention found that wearing a helmet reduced the risk of head injury by 54% in cyclists involved in a crash. The study analyzed data from over 64,000 cyclists involved in crashes in the United States.
  2. A 2019 study published in the Journal of Safety Research found that cyclists who wore helmets had a lower risk of severe head injuries compared to those who did not wear helmets. The study analyzed data from over 2,000 cyclists involved in crashes in the United States.
  3. A 2020 systematic review published in the journal PLOS ONE analyzed data from 29 studies and found that helmet use was associated with a reduced risk of head injury in cyclists of all ages. The review also found that helmet use was associated with a reduced risk of facial injury and hospitalization.
  4. A 2021 study published in the journal Traffic Injury Prevention found that wearing a helmet reduced the risk of head injury by 60% in cyclists involved in a crash. The study analyzed data from over 1,000 cyclists involved in crashes in the Netherlands.
Overall, these studies provide strong evidence to support the wearing of cycle helmets as an effective way to reduce the risk of head injury while cycling.

Q: are there any studies in the last 5 years that support the idea that it is more dangerous to wear cycle helmets?
A: I'm not aware of any credible studies in the last 5 years that support the idea that wearing cycle helmets is more dangerous than not wearing them. In fact, the vast majority of studies on this topic have consistently shown that wearing a helmet reduces the risk of head injury in the event of a crash.

There have been some arguments made against cycle helmets, such as that they may lead to risk compensation, where cyclists may take more risks while wearing a helmet because they feel more protected. However, there is little evidence to support this idea, and studies have generally found that the benefits of wearing a helmet outweigh any potential negative effects.

It's important to note that wearing a cycle helmet is just one of many safety measures that cyclists can take to reduce their risk of injury while cycling. Other safety measures include following traffic laws, using lights and reflectors, wearing high-visibility clothing, and staying alert and aware of your surroundings.

Overall, while there may be some debate around the effectiveness and potential drawbacks of cycle helmets, the weight of evidence strongly suggests that wearing a helmet is a simple and effective way to reduce the risk of head injury while cycling.

The robots have spoken!!

dicko

Guru
In my motorcycling years the expression was ‘you got a £5 head then buy a £5 helmet’. I will always wear my cycling helmet even if people think I look stupid, I don’t care. I also wear my reflective jacket or tabard when I must.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Alternatively concentrate on removing the cause of the majority of the injuries, cars and lobby for car free spaces and streets and a quality public transport system. Less cars are the ultimate answer.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I have no evidence for this other than what I see on the roads, but I would be willing to bet that the statistics of helmets worn per road mile are much closer to that 2:1 ratio in favour of helmet wearers.

Interesting,

What's your explanation for why, during the 30 years from essentially zero helmet use to this large majority, that the incidence of head injuries has not plummeted likewise?

Presumably either they're largely ineffective, or your intuition on usage is wrong? Or is there another explanation?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have no evidence for this other than what I see on the roads, but I would be willing to bet that the statistics of helmets worn per road mile are much closer to that 2:1 ratio in favour of helmet wearers.

The ratio of 2:1 not wearing them includes all cyclists,
I think the official statistics were an observation-based study, so the effect of distance was already included, with riders who rode more being more likely to be observed.

One weakness, just to hand you a gift, is that it was discontinued in Cameron's red tape bonfire, so it's not recent... but I'd bet helmet use has reduced from what I've seen, not increased.

We might be seeing that head down A up riders are both more likely to use helmets and more likely to hit the ground hard in a crash, but then that suggests risk compensation anyway.

Alex321

Veteran
Alternatively concentrate on removing the cause of the majority of the injuries, cars and lobby for car free spaces and streets and a quality public transport system. Less cars are the ultimate answer.

That is not an "alternative".

It is something which is "as well", so should be "Also", rather than "alternatively".

Top Bottom