Lidil Motor Bike Chain Cleaner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

country joe

I see an offer coming of on Lidil,:smile::biggrin: motor Bike chain cleaner, its an aerosol spray at 99p do you think it would be any good for a road bike.

yello

No.

yello

I wouldn't use white spirit either!

I simply said 'no' because I wanted to give a succinct answer of what I thought. I wouldn't use a chain cleaner intended for a heavy duty chain on a bicycle chain. But then of course one can if one wishes!

Coincidently, Lidl are selling it here in France too this week. Let me have a look at the ad to see if I can see the chemical components of the cleaner...

Edit: it's W5 chain cleaner for motorcycle and bicycle chains, €1.99 for a 300ml can.

yello said:
I wouldn't use white spirit either!

I simply said 'no' because I wanted to give a succinct answer of what I thought. I wouldn't use a chain cleaner intended for a heavy duty chain on a bicycle chain. But then of course one can if one wishes!

Coincidently, Lidl are selling it here in France too this week. Let me have a look at the ad to see if I can see the chemical components of the cleaner...

Edit: it's W5 chain cleaner for motorcycle and bicycle chains, €1.99 for a 300ml can.
Succinct but not very clear! :blush:;)

A chain is a chain is a chain in my book. The Lidl stuff is going to be a basic degreaser, I suspect, and it will work as well on a bike chain as on a motorbike version. Some people don't approve of using a degreaser on chains because it displaces the original factory grease that the links are packed with, but others (me included) don't think the grease survives that long and that you may as well bite the bullet and strip clean the chain with a degreaser (white spririt, paraffin, petrol, whatever). There's nothing in a motorbike chain cleaner that will do any harm to a bike chain.

yello

Chuffy said:
Succinct but not very clear! :blush:;)

Ah yes true but then, in my defence, a reason wasn't asked for!

To be honest, I'm a tad mystified by the why-fores and what-nots of cleaning chains; whether to use solutions or not etc (No, I'm not asking for help and a debate!!). I reckon you just reach a point where you read all the opinion and experience then pick your own path based on that. I've gone for the 'no degreasers, regular wipe-oil-wipe' method.

In an ideal world, you'd use one of these. They do pong a bit though when you warm them up. Best done outside with a portable stove.

b008_35.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....147453&cguid=8edb294a11f0a0e203b1b341feb07b81

PpPete

Legendary Member
Wax? Tried it once, never again.

yello said:
I reckon you just reach a point where you read all the opinion and experience then pick your own path based on that. I've gone for the 'no degreasers, regular wipe-oil-wipe' method.

+1

stewlewis

I bought some and it works a treat in the £3.99 chain cleaning device.
Followed by the W5 chain lube from Lidl too.

The lube leaves the chain with the waxy feeling you get with a shop new chain, and it spins smooth and quiet. I think I spryed too much though, it only takes a little and last a good while.

Bargain buys.

Top Bottom