lidl coat {red one}

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark1974

missus picked me one up few weeks ago and with the weather last couple of days i went for ride with it on
my opinion dont waste your money
gets wet and sticky inside
so any links to a not to expensive replacement be great
thanks
Mark

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You get what you pay for!

I'd rather not wear one than wear a cheap one, not because I am a snob, but because I would rather get wet with rain water and not be dehydrated than get wet from excessive sweating!

OP
OP
mark1974

mark1974

i agree mate
wife bought it so for sake of a easy life as it was a nice gesture initially
now it will dissapear into the the black hole under the stairs :whistle:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
i agree mate
wife bought it so for sake of a easy life as it was a nice gesture initially
now it will dissapear into the the black hole under the stairs :whistle:

Yes for sure very nice of her :smile: I was commenting more with regards to the one you buy as a replacement, as in don't buy too cheap or you will only have the same issues.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Unless you spend serious money any coat will be boil in the bag , i only wear my altura stuff which is about 3 times the price of lidl stuff when it really rains or its really cold .
I do tend to ride as hard as i feel i can so i do get sweaty quick ....

rb58

Enigma
I've found that, more than any other cycling item, you get what you pay for when it comes to jackets. You need to pay serious money for one which is not boil in the bag. Think £100+

if it's the one with a packaway hood and packs into the rear pocket, I must say that i like mine. I did take the words 'water repellant' to mean ok for light drizzle but i bought it to go on tour as it would be good as a casual jacket as it had all the pockets, hood and reasonably light.

I still got soaked through but I wasn't cold and it dried pretty quick once the rain stopped. I think I may have had arm warmers on as well which reduced the sticky when wet feeling.

Longshot

I bought one of the Tenn Outdoors jackets from Amazon. It has "pit zips" (although one seems to be stuck closed) but seems OK. I can work up a sweat in a freezer so any jacket will get a bit soggy inside but this one actually seems OK. I have a good quality Goretex waterproof for playing golf and I can't say that this one is noticeably any worse on the breathability.

byegad

Legendary Member
Depends on what you need. I have some boil in the bag tops useful for a run to the shops in the rain as they are totally waterproof you can simply pull it over whatever you are wearing and go. I also have some expensive tops, Paramo, Columbia and another Goretex fabric one who's maker I forget. All good for a day in the rain but only with the right layers underneath to aid moisture transfer.

Top Bottom