Life’s just not fair...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
'What ever made you think life was fair?' is the response my children get to that one!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Did Herbie peed on the bed? :scratch:
Ha! Not yet....

D626690A-F035-4D46-9804-5009B9492CAA.jpeg

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
That reminds me, it's time to take my antidepressants....
It was not supposed to be a smart or jokey response. I know millions of people go through absolute hell for one reason or another, but things only seem fair or unfair when we compare them to others. I was watching a very moving docu-short yesterday about a man with Progeria (I won't post the link becasue it was FB). At 25, his health was that of a failing 80 year-old. But his outlook was humbling. Every day he woke up, he was grateful that he had another day on the planet. Obviously mental health plays a huge part in what we view as fair or unfair. There are some people with minor ailments who complain all the time, and some with life threatening conditions who do not complain at all, and vice versa.

I've heard so many "corny" sayings about life, but as I get older I'm starting to feel truth in them. I wish I could have understood this when I was a teenager.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
“The total amount of suffering per year in the natural world is beyond all decent contemplation. During the minute that it takes me to compose this sentence, thousands of animals are being eaten alive, many others are running for their lives, whimpering with fear, others are slowly being devoured from within by rasping parasites, thousands of all kinds are dying of starvation, thirst, and disease. It must be so. If there ever is a time of plenty, this very fact will automatically lead to an increase in the population until the natural state of starvation and misery is restored. In a universe of electrons and selfish genes, blind physical forces and genetic replication, some people are going to get hurt, other people are going to get lucky, and you won't find any rhyme or reason in it, nor any justice. The universe that we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but pitiless indifference.”
― Richard Dawkins

Yes Richard, we know.

Thing is human beans are conscious creatures, and can observe suffering and injustice.

They can also choose, or not choose to do something about it, if they wish to consider themselves humane humans.

"Life isn't inherently fair"

Doesn't actually let you off the hook from making an effort on that front, to redress some unfairness, if you want to be considered humane.

Religiosity, or otherwise doesn't really come into it.

Off course, the "I'm alright Jack, suck it up buttercup" types among us - do prefer your rationale.

Avoids us having to do much about anything.

Beyond enjoying the fruits of our 'accident of birth / accident of genetics' luck..

You pilchard :hello:

Rocky

Hello decadence
Yes Richard, we know.

Thing is human beans are conscious creatures, and can observe suffering and injustice.

They can also choose, or not choose to do something about it, if they wish to consider themselves humane humans.

"Life isn't inherently fair"

Doesn't actually let you off the hook from making an effort on that front, to redress some unfairness, if you want to be considered humane.

Religiosity, or otherwise doesn't really come into it.

Off course, the "I'm alright Jack, suck it up buttercup" types among us - do prefer your rationale.

Avoids us having to do much about anything.

Beyond enjoying the fruits of our 'accident of birth / accident of genetics' luck..

You pilchard :hello:
I once cycled past Richard Dawkins coming the other way on his bike. I waved. He didn’t wave back.

I’d like to report him to @ianrauk

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I once cycled passed Richard Dawkins coming the other way on his bike. I waved. He didn’t wave back.

I’d like to report him to @ianrauk

A freind of mine just recently cycled passed KH who was 'peering into a stream' but turned to say hello.

It wasn't til she'd gone past, whilst returned the greeting, that my mate realised who it was.

She's still aggrieved now, at having missed the chance to give her a quick shove..

:angel:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
People have to learn happy endings have to be engineered and worked on, sadly they don't just happen by chance.

"Son, this ain't Disney!"

Like the 'And they all lived happily ever after'

After getting wed in the fairytale
whereas that's when the work starts.

I guess there's definitely an element of luck in finding someone who is prepared to make equal effort.

Top Bottom