Life before Cellphones.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There's a youngish bloke I see walking to and from the gym up the road. I'd say he's yacking on a phone 95% of the time I see him! It doesn't even look like a smartphone. It looks like one of those 20 quid monthly top up ones you can buy in Tesco. He looks like he's in his early 30's, so he probably can't remember pre' phone addiction days. I just wonder how he'd survive without a 'mobile phone'?! 🤔

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
It's probably a burner phone Acfy and he's I te t on doing some, er, business.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
my handheld calculators all have a % button, but the installed calculators on my 'smart' phones don't. It was just an observation. I don't need anyone explaining to me how to work out a percentage :unsure:

Sorry, not trying to teach grandma to suck eggs. I don't think I've ever seen a % button on a calculator, so I'm puzzled what you'd need one for. But I've not used a calculator for over 30 years.

roley poley

Über Member
The first mobile phone i saw looked like a car battery,shoulder strap to carry the weight ,an aerial resembling a roll out tape measure folded into three and a handset strapped to the top ...it was used to do 24 hour breakdown car recovery .I was impressed at the time to see such a useful tool for the job

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
my handheld calculators all have a % button, but the installed calculators on my 'smart' phones don't. It was just an observation.
But that's not universal - all the installed calculators on my smart phones do!

Attachments

• IMG_3927.jpg
    IMG_3927.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3928.jpg
    IMG_3928.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Quite, we did, but, as @dave r said, it is MUCH better now, unless you put on the rose tinted specs.
 We might have it much better now, but there are plenty who don't and their numbers are increasing. My earlier post lists just a tiny fraction who are doing no better, or even worse, than they might in the 50's.

Drago

Legendary Member
So you think those having to choose between heating and eating have never had it so good?

Or refugees dying as they attempt sea crossings? Is life going well for them?

Or victims of domestic abuse, trapped in violent or controlling relationships? Are things going swimmingly for them?

Those who's homes are flooded out as a result of climate change. Should they be thanking their lucky stars?

These are random yet all too common examples, visible pretty much every time we pick up a newspaper or switch on the TV news, and it is not unreasonable to politely question your reasoning on that score.

Us moderately monied, reasonably fit and healthy middle classes are doing OK, much better than 60 or more years ago.

However, that does not negwte the fact there are plenty in society that have not moved forward with us, many of whom have even gone backwards in the security of their wellbeing. This is reality, and respectfully and politely agreeing to disagree with me is very noble but does not make any of this go away.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
So you think those having to choose between heating and eating have never had it so good?

Or victims of domestic abuse, trapped in violent or controlling relationships? Are things going swimmingly for them?

Those who's homes are flooded out as a result of climate change. Should they be thanking their lucky stars?

These are random yet all too common examples, visible pretty much every time we pick up a newspaper or switch on the TV news, and it is not unreasonable to politely question your reasoning on that score.

Us moderately monied, reasonably fit and healthy middle classes are doing OK, much better than 60 or more years ago.

However, that does not negwte the fact there are plenty in society that have not moved forward with us, many of whom have even gone backwards in the security of their wellbeing. This is reality, and respectfully and politely agreeing to disagree with me is very noble but does not make any of this go away.

I think you need to move this to the other place ;)

Were there no problems in the 1950s then?; no poor people, no homeless, no refugees, no flooding?

Were you even around in the 1950s?

You are making an assumption about my "class", financial status and health, you may know YOUR circumstances, but, you have no idea of MY circumstances, either now or in the 1950s

Did I. say anywhere that there were were NO problems, present day?

Polite of not, that is my last exchange with you on this subject.

Have a nice day.

D

Deleted member 1258

"Us moderately monied, reasonably fit and healthy middle classes are doing OK, much better than 60 or more years ago", who are these people? I'm not monied or middle classed, I'm working class always have been, brought up on a council estate, I'm a pensioner, living on state pension with a very small works pension, seventy quid a month plus pension credit, I'm not monied but I don't have to choose between heating and eating, it happens but its not as common as the papers make it out to be, its not common amongst my pensioner friends, most of them are doing OK.

Top Bottom