Life before Cellphones.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Polio was common, my mate had a gammy leg due to it, and he wasn't the only one, the childhood illnesses were common, whooping cough, chicken pox, measles, mumps etc, no central heating for most of us, a coal fire in one room was not uncommon, as were outside toilets and no bathrooms, and overcrowded living conditions were common

The cellphone fixed all that?!? Wow, I really should be more grateful ...

D

Deleted member 1258

The cellphone fixed all that?!? Wow, I really should be more grateful ...

Wot are you on about?

D

Deleted member 1258

Clue's in the thread title. Top of your screen?

You'll have to explain that one, who said cell phones fixed all that? my post was a reaction to posts where people were looking back through rose coloured glasses, some appeared to be going back to the 1950's

Alex321

Veteran
You'll have to explain that one, who said cell phones fixed all that? my post was a reaction to posts where people were looking back through rose coloured glasses, some appeared to be going back to the 1950's

He doesn't like threads going off topic, so sometimes responds as if he believes a post must be relating to the thread topic, no matter how obvious it is that it doesn't.

Though in this case, he is seriously misinterpreting the thread title for even that, given that it doesn't say anything about cellphones fixing anything.

D

Deleted member 1258

He doesn't like threads going off topic, so sometimes responds as if he believes a post must be relating to the thread topic, no matter how obvious it is that it doesn't.

Though in this case, he is seriously misinterpreting the thread title for even that, given that it doesn't say anything about cellphones fixing anything.

Threads on CC often wander of topic, sometimes that makes them more interesting.

stephec

Legendary Member
Never mind Internet, tarmac hasn’t reached Yorkshire yet.

Unfortunately the M62's been built now.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Unfortunately the M62's been built now.

I did recently see a picture. News has spread and Yorkshire folk came out to see it, but haven’t come up with a use yet.

Many were heard to say “nowt but a reet bobby dazzler”

15d0b642e1359c39e72eb129840488cb.jpg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
and another thing about 'smart' phones... I have two and both have a calculator, but neither allows me to add or subtract a percentage.

I don't quite understand. Surely you just multiply by (1 plus or minus (the percentage/100)).

Sounds complicated now I write it down. But it isn't. Say have a 5% discount on a price of 123 then it would just be 123 x .95

Or have I missed something.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I carry mine in a pouch on my belt nowadays.
Once I slipped on wet grass and my leg shot under a wooden gate. No injury but if there had been I could have been there for hours before being found cold and wet and probably hypothermic.
I also cycled off road on forestry tracks in winter which could get very dodgy.
This gave me pause for thought and I now am a bit unsteady on my feet so better to be on the safe side and carry a phone always.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I don't quite understand. Surely you just multiply by (1 plus or minus (the percentage/100)).

Sounds complicated now I write it down. But it isn't. Say have a 5% discount on a price of 123 then it would just be 123 x .95

Or have I missed something.

my handheld calculators all have a % button, but the installed calculators on my 'smart' phones don't. It was just an observation. I don't need anyone explaining to me how to work out a percentage :unsure:

Top Bottom