Life can be so unfair.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Sorry to be reading that Tyred. Take something from the fact you were there for her. And don't beat yourself up over something you couldn't control.

Take care.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Dreadful. It’s a bastard disease and we are surrounded by it at the moment -dropping like flies in mid 50s. But 38 is frikkin’ cruel.

Tyred, I’m sorry, but I lack the words to express how sad this is. Clearly you have been a good and supportive friend for many years. Your loss will be great, but take solace at lives enriched by time together.
Recent history suggests we are all one random diagnosis from our impending demise. Live and love as if there is no tomorrow. Cherish every warm moment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
I knew that this was inevitable really, it was going to happen sooner rather than later bug I still feel in a state of shock.

I haven't seen her since July really. I was going to a few weeks ago but she had been diagnosed with Covid and had to isolate. I was planning on going to see her when I got back from this tour.

Her son is obsessed with machinery and I had took them home to my parents farm in July for him to play with animals and tractors and things and it was such a nice day. It was obvious that she was in a bit of pain but I never thought that I'd never see her again. I will probably never see the boy again either.

I know she had flights booked for October to go home to Hungary to visit her friends and family :sad:

classic33

Leg End Member
I knew that this was inevitable really, it was going to happen sooner rather than later bug I still feel in a state of shock.

I haven't seen her since July really. I was going to a few weeks ago but she had been diagnosed with Covid and had to isolate. I was planning on going to see her when I got back from this tour.

Her son is obsessed with machinery and I had took them home to my parents farm in July for him to play with animals and tractors and things and it was such a nice day. It was obvious that she was in a bit of pain but I never thought that I'd never see her again. I will probably never see the boy again either.

I know she had flights booked for October to go home to Hungary to visit her friends and family :sad:
Keep the memories.

These last 18 months have been the hardest for many folk. You helped someone else get through those months, not just with the cancer. They have played hell with peoples lives, but you were there, when conditions allowed.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
So sorry to read your news @tyred . I wish your friend a peaceful passing and I hope that she is not in too much pain. Her poor wee son too, I am assuming that there are careers who have swooped into action for the lad.

Please take comfort from knowing that you have been there for her, even though Covid kept you from seeing each other. A dreadful situation and so out of anyone’s control.

A pal of mine who was part of our VW group of friends was feeling ill with what he thought was a chest infection, this was in the February, May 1st he died of Cancer!

39 yrs old, 2 Daughters 12 and 9 at the time, absolutely ripped everyone apart at (12 yrs ago).

Some people really are dealt a bad hand.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

It would be great if there was a way to maintain contact with the young lad. Your memories of time spent with his mother will be precious.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I hadn't seen this thread earlier Tyred, but your friendship and support will will have given your friend a real tonic when she felt low. People cope in many different ways but the most important thing is to just be there sometimes... you have been someone she could trust which is wonderful.

A school friend lost his mum when he was two or three and he was brought up by his much older brother and his family- I first met him when he was 11 and he had a very happy childhood and was a very balanced, caring person and a good friend, though his memories of his mum were very fleeting so your friend's little boy will have a resilience that we'll never know- he will probably remember your trip to see the tractors.

OP
OP
tyred

tyred

Legendary Member
I don't know what happens to the boy. At one point she was debating whether to send back home to her family or to she knew a couple here who might be prepared to act as carers. I don't know what she decided in the end as I considered it a very private matter and would never have asked that and she never mentioned it after that.

PaulB

Legendary Member
My mother's sister - a woman the word 'invincible' could have been coined for - died on Wednesday. This has hit me really badly because we went to see her last month on her 80th birthday and as we were leaving, she grabbed me and with a tear in her eyes, said, "This is the last time I'll ever see you." and of course, it was. I was the son she never had (three daughters) and when my mother died, she became my mother! I don't think it's fully hit me yet, but it will. It will. Bastard Covid.

classic33

Leg End Member
Her earthly toils and struggles are now over. She suffered terrible pain these past few months. It was probably a release really
Sorry to read that Tyred.
Don't be too hard on yourself and bear in mind that you helped her through what had to be a traumatic and painful time. Neither of you probably said as much, but you were there.

Build on that, remember the good times and the dancing. And should you feel like having a moan/let off steam there's always here for that.

Top Bottom