Lifelong endurance vs. Healthy but untrained Octogenarians

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Interesting reading. Basically shows the benefits of keeping fit in old age ...

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Interesting reading. Basically shows the benefits of keeping fit in old age ...

Yes, I’d classify myself in the life long exerciser category. I only have a gas exchange VO2 max figure from 2018, but my Garmin and HRV4Training estimates show it’s holding steady at the moment, in the superior range for age and gender.

Need a better focus on strength work, to complement aerobic conditioning, but the ageing research encourages me to keep at it.

DFDBA67E-59D4-4B67-A632-5E381C9E0D8A.jpeg

CXRAndy

Guru
Yes, I’d classify myself in the life long exerciser category. I only have a gas exchange VO2 max figure from 2018, but my Garmin and HRV4Training estimates show it’s holding steady at the moment, in the superior range for age and gender.

Need a better focus on strength work, to complement aerobic conditioning, but the ageing research encourages me to keep at it.

View attachment 684454

Ming
What device is recording your V02 max?

Top 1% is fantastic, mine is average for age from Garmin watch, but I do any running

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Top 1% is fantastic, mine is average for age from Garmin watch, but I do any running

The VO2 max gas exchange in 2018 was during a Kings College (London) lung research study into ageing amongst endurance athletes vs. Healthy but sedentary controls. Essentially showed for my gender and weight , my lung function was equivalent to the normalised values for someone in their 20s. It’s more nuanced than that , with a lot more data, they even measured brain / diaphragm strength and speed of signals, but essentially lungs in good shape.

presta

Guru
I thought you were a fan of large numbers. That sample's even smaller than the AF studies you were rubbishing.

1680803973937.png

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
That sample's even smaller than the AF studies you were rubbishing.

Which AF studies was I rubbishing? Can you provide links to the ones you claim I rubbished, together with links to the posts I rubbished them in?

CXRAndy

Guru
Can you get V02 max from Zwift racing? Does the Garmin watch or head unit work out the figure. I tend not go for max efforts outside

Top Bottom