Light comparison -an idea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
doyler78 said:
Can't fathom how to put a picture up directly on this reply. Tried image tags, file uploading but neither works so can only provide links to flickr.

I struggled a lot with this too but was told about "the paperclip". Symbol on the reply to thread page and once clicked you can browse your computer for the pics. There is a Manage Attachments button at the bottom of the screen which does the same job too. Thanks to Chuffy and Speicher for showing me how.

This is a great thread and will help me immensely decide where to put my hard earned for buying lights.

The Ay-ups look very good.:blush:

sjb

Anyone know where you can get the AYUP's in the UK?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Sorry, no pics yet, but I wanted to share with you my brain addled state.

I saw the pic taken in the hall way, and realised that I also have a hallway in which I can get total darkness for the pic. Great. I'm about to switch between my summer bike and my winter bike - the one in use lives down in the lobby, the other in the flat.

I actually got as far as thinking, I'll have to take a photo when I have my current bike (summer) up here, because that's the one with the non-dynamo lights on it. So I better get cracking and make the swap. Oh, I'll have to do it this weekend, but I need to fix a puncture first (hub braked wheel, of course), and I'm busy Saturday and....

Then it dawned on me...

The lights are all removable, I can just bung them on whatever bike's up here.

Maybe I need another cup of tea this morning...

<Goes back to banging head on desk>

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Sorry guys but its gonna make a huge difference unless its done with the same camera each time. You'll get a rough idea but no better than that. ;)

As said before, shutter speed, ISO setting and the lense will be very variable before you even start factoring in the different light processing cells in the cameras, which metering system and settings etc.

cheers

chris :smile:

ChrisW

Nice idea, and i've got a couple of front lights i could photograph..

But as a bona fide tech dinosaur i wouldn't stand a chance of getting a photo posted on here.

Sorry!

bonj2

Arch said:
Sorry, no pics yet, but I wanted to share with you my brain addled state.

I saw the pic taken in the hall way, and realised that I also have a hallway in which I can get total darkness for the pic. Great. I'm about to switch between my summer bike and my winter bike - the one in use lives down in the lobby, the other in the flat.

I actually got as far as thinking, I'll have to take a photo when I have my current bike (summer) up here, because that's the one with the non-dynamo lights on it. So I better get cracking and make the swap. Oh, I'll have to do it this weekend, but I need to fix a puncture first (hub braked wheel, of course), and I'm busy Saturday and....

Then it dawned on me...

The lights are all removable, I can just bung them on whatever bike's up here.

Maybe I need another cup of tea this morning...

<Goes back to banging head on desk>
To illustrate the power of the dynamo lights, you'll have to ride it fast into a dark corridor while holding the camera and take a photo whilst pedalling.

Sorry couldn't help suggesting that

bonj2

Panter said:
Sorry guys but its gonna make a huge difference unless its done with the same camera each time. You'll get a rough idea but no better than that. :smile:

As said before, shutter speed, ISO setting and the lense will be very variable before you even start factoring in the different light processing cells in the cameras, which metering system and settings etc.

cheers

chris :becool:

You will get an idea, but like User says if everyone does more than one light and uses the same camera settings and location for both shots, then from each person's pictures you'll get an idea of how much better one light is than another. If multiple people use the same light then this will enable you to link the comparisons, even if all it proves is that most lights are better than an EL530 ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
You will get an idea, but like User says if everyone does more than one light and uses the same camera settings and location for both shots, then from each person's pictures you'll get an idea of how much better one light is than another. If multiple people use the same light then this will enable you to link the comparisons, even if all it proves is that most lights are better than an EL530 ;)

You'll never all fit in my hallway....

And I don't have an EL530...

Yeah, I think I might just not bother with the dynamo lights...

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Yup, guilty as charged.

I just didn't read through the thread properly.

I have a cateye light at home, and a decent camera but I'm not sure if the cateye is the control model. I'll have a look when I get home and stick up a piccy of my main light if it is.

cheers

Chris ;)

bonj2

Patrick Stevens said:
I've been commuting with a 40 watt halogen on the bar and a 10 watt halide on my helmet. The halide is much better.

40 watt?! :smile: ;) :becool: Forty! as in, four, zero? :becool:

you need to take the photos in more or less the same surroundings. the reults willbe different for the same light if one pic. is taken outside in total darkness with no reflective surfaces and the other is taken in a white painted hallway where all the light is being relected around.

i'm looking forward to the results. i've got an el530 but nothing to compare it with.

bonj said:
40 watt?! :smile: ;) :becool: Forty! as in, four, zero? :becool:

Yep. :becool: I had it made to order by Rooster from C+. The run time is about 30 minutes, but as my commute is 26 minutes, that's no problem. It cost about £20, but the battery pack was separate and about £50.

I think Rooster sells lights on eBay. They are simple, but remarkably good. I think Simoncc uses one.

Top Bottom