Light comparison -an idea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

yeah but they have to be delivered from oz.

doyler78

sjb bonj is quite right.

The UK shop is a bit misleading I feel as it gives people the impression that it is UK based. It is not. It is only there to make pricing transparent. The price DOES NOT include any VAT, customs or shipping courier (TNT) handling charges. Whether you get hit with these is hit or miss.

I so far have not however it can take several weeks after the delivery in order to receive the bill so it may still arrive. The costs I believe could be anything up to £40 so you should factor that into your calcs but worth every penny in my opinion.

ajc

I'm currently tracking my order, I ordered it very late on friday 2nd Nov and it was sorted out on monday 5th Nov, current status is

05 Nov 2007 22:23 Brisbane Shipped From Originating Depot
05 Nov 2007 21:19 Brisbane Consignment Received At Transit Point
05 Nov 2007 16:51 Brisbane Consignment Picked Up

I'm hoping it will be in the UK by tonight (if its anything like Doyler78's consignment) and I hope to have it by friday. As has been said already, I may or may not, get hit with VAt, customs etc.... we'll wait and see....

I see everone is going for the ayups now :biggrin:. However here is my comparison of the Busch and Muller Ixon IQ (£64.50) from dotbike compared to my old Cateye EL500.

I tested it on a canal tow path which is quite dark (and slightly off my normal commute). I would ride along here quite happily with the Ixon, but certainly not with the EL500.

I am very happy with the IXON for the price and I think it is a much better buy than the EL500 and I assume the EL530. Does someone have a comparison of the EL500 and EL530 to confirm this?

The helmet camera does not bad considering how dark this path is!!:biggrin:

ajc

Well at the end of the day, if you are happy with your light and you are happy with what the price, then thats all that matters. I was getting to the stage of being overloaded by all the lights available.

I had thought I was going to have to spend around £240 for a front light and £150 for a back light.:biggrin:

In the end I plumped for the AY UP at the front which is £100 and I have an EL410 helmet light. I have couple of rear Cateye LD610s at £15 each and I've cleaned up an old cateye rear light which is big and has just one very bright setting and sits on the seatpost.

I'm happy with that.

And my AY UP has now reached Heathrow :biggrin:

ajc

And my lights arrived this morning, 5 days after they left OZ :biggrin:, unfortunately the package didn't have my name on it and was refused by our receptionist:angry:. So I have had to chase TNT up to see if they will attempt another delivery today and to add my name to it which is unlikely, I think I will have to wait until monday now. Bummer !

ajc

Doyler78, do you think you can still get charged VAT, customs duty etc. for the items even after delivery.
I would have thought you would have to pay the charge up front rather than after the event.
Its not something I know about as I don't get items delivered every day from OZ but I wondered whether it would be easy for the companies to prove you actually received the package. Just a thought

doyler78

ajc said:
Doyler78, do you think you can still get charged VAT, customs duty etc. for the items even after delivery.
I would have thought you would have to pay the charge up front rather than after the event.
Its not something I know about as I don't get items delivered every day from OZ but I wondered whether it would be easy for the companies to prove you actually received the package. Just a thought
#

You certainly can. If it were being delivered by Royal Mail they will normally collect before delivery however normal practice, from all accounts, with TNT is to bill afterwards.

Aparently they will just black list you from ever receiving a parcel again if you don't pay.

Too bad about missing the delivery. The delivery guy here didn't even ask me to sign for it so I could have claimed non delivery however I'm always happy to pay for something if I really want it.

kyuss

Veteran
I'm still in with a shot then. My package isn't even on the tracking page yet though, so I doubt it.

I only ordered my Ay-Ups on Tuesday and they are already on their way. Are you clicking the 'Track International Shipment' link to the left of the box before putting your tracking number in? The link that Ay-Up sent me takes me to TNT's domestic tracking page and the number doesn't work in that.

doyler78

kyuss said:
I only ordered my Ay-Ups on Tuesday and they are already on their way. Are you clicking the 'Track International Shipment' link to the left of the box before putting your tracking number in? The link that Ay-Up sent me takes me to TNT's domestic tracking page and the number doesn't work in that.

Second that. Confused me too :blush:

Top Bottom