Light comparison -an idea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeitup

Veteran
Well, I've finally managed to get some decent comparison pictures. I copied Doyler 78's camera settings-

f2.8
speed 1/4
ISO 400

And here are the results. Firstly, this is the Cateye EL-530-

IMG_1585.jpg

The centre spot isn't too bad, and there's a general circle of light which isn't very bright but does help you with a bit of peripheral vision. You can also see the lenses on the sides, which gives a slight bit of side-on light.

This is the BLT Ozone 21ne-

IMG_1587.jpg

You can't really see much difference, but the central spot is a fair bit brighter than the EL530. It shines further if you point it up a bit. A combination of these two will light up a dark towpath enough to cycle at 10-12mph, but it can be slightly unsettling, and I find that you have to constantly swing the bars from side to side to get a wide throw.

Now this is the Ayup-

IMG_1589.jpg

There's really no competition between this and the first two, nor the first two together. It's a wide beam, and it's massively brighter. I've not tried a Dinotte, but I suppose that the Ayup has the advantage, having two independently directional beams, that you can aim one above the other and get a longer stretch lit in front of you.

I did the towpath again tonight in total darkness, and the Ayup is great. I had none of the dodgy moments that I had with the other two lights. People approaching from the other direction were screwing their eyes up with the brightness.

So if you were to ask me how much you need to spend to be able to ride at daytime speeds on unlit paths, I'd say £116, which is the cost of these Ayups including postage from Australia.

The only disadvantage I can see is that you can only see where the bike is pointing. If you want to see where your head turns then you need something on your helmet as well.

BTW, Mr Paul.
What beam did you choose?

doyler78

The middle one. It's a bit confusing because they have intermediate and medium, and without checking the site I can't remember which is the middle one.

The middle one is intermediate,

It goes narrow, intermediate, medium beam from narrowest beam spread to widest.

mikeitup

Veteran
re

Just ordered my AYUPS!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

I did e-mail them about Rear lights. They said they have not decided yet but are thinking about it.
Come on guys send e-mails asking about rear lights!

doyler78

Welcome to the club (or soon to be anyway).

To be honest I am pretty happy with my cateye's for the rear. Anyone that has been behind me has told me that they had no problem in seeing me and along with the high viz stuff I'm pretty happy. Went for the front light from ayup because it offered the best bang for your buck in my opinion. Unless you are buying at the same time it is unlikely that any rear would be able to compete when delivery and custom, etc charges are factored in. If you want really bright just get the dinnotte rear which is very good and if bought in the UK customer service is much simpler.

Just my opinion.

doyler78

Check this out:

http://www.ayup.com.au/uk-whatsnew.php

Looks good now. Any warranty probs and ayup will deal with it via email and if it is deemed that they need them back they take care of the freight costs. This is something which very few national, let alone international, suppliers offer.

Plus they have tried as best they can to clarify costs here but still the ambiguities exist however with the warranty returns cleared up this makes these more attracrtive now to those that had previously dithered because of their concerns about costs involved in rectifying probs after delivery.

doyler78

Absolutely pelted down the whole way home tonight so a good chance to really try them out in really ugly weather and they stood up great. Only thing I had probs with was picking out puddles. Because of their transparent nature I couldn't tell them from the road and ended up ploughing through a couple of rather large puddles.

The lower half of me was totally soaked. Even my overshoes, which normally keep my feet from getting soaked, didn't stand a chance and my feet were wringing wet but I loved the journey home. Is that just weird?

doyler78

I know some people on other forums have got hit with the duty however no one on here seems to have got hit, including myself. My link in the previous post explains the situation as far as ayup can determine it. Its probably as close as you will get to answer because it is so hit and miss. Just expect to pay it and hope not too. That's what I did anyway.

longers

Legendary Member
I've just had a look and they're showing no stock, at all!:blush:

I hope they ran out after processing the order I made yesterday.

longers

Legendary Member
I got my order today. :biggrin:

Oh

My

Giddy

Aunt!

:biggrin: They are incredible :sad::biggrin::biggrin:

I will have to be very considerate of oncoming traffic when using them on the road and they were superb off road. I'll have to write me a thankyou letter.

papercorn2000

Mines are also an Xmas pressie, however, I have had a wee look! I am going to burning people's paintwork come the new year!

(And no VAT bill yet)

Top Bottom