Light comparison -an idea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I got a couple of questions about the Ay-Ups, I have read that they are attached using cable ties, are you worried about getting them nicked? Also there is no on off switch, you just unplug the battery?

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
sjb said:
Actually, since I posted I looked at their website and they include a separate shop for the UK with prices in good old £'s.

http://www.ayup.com.au/uk-shop-kits.html

Their "roadie" kit sells for £100 which looks like good value to me.....

Dear Santa.....
But that's still buying from Oz, I'm gonna e-mail them and see what I could do. First question though, how many people interested in these lights ??

doyler78

Hairy Jock said:
I got a couple of questions about the Ay-Ups, I have read that they are attached using cable ties, are you worried about getting them nicked? Also there is no on off switch, you just unplug the battery?

They are indeed. However it is only the bike mount that is secured with the cable ties. The lights are actually attached to the mount with an integrated strap which goes over the light and attaches to the back of the mount and thus hold it in place. So no worries at the other end. You simply pull the rubber strap off the hook and lift the lights off. Really simple.

There is no on/off switch at present however one with this facility will be able available at the end of this month I think.

Personally it so easy to pull the battery chord off and to put it on that it really isn't an issue for me and given that if you get any of the kits you will get a 6 hour battery then there is really no issue in just leaving it plugged in either.

doyler78

The thing that sold these to me is the fact that they offer upgrades to previous buyers at cost. I wonder whether they will with the batteries?

Yeah that's good however when you factor in shipping costs and possible customs, vat and yet more handling charges this isn't necessarily going to be cheap.

ajc

:tongue: My AY UP lights have turned up today :biggrin:

WOW ! They are so small but they don't half put out a lot of light.
I'm very impressed with them even before they've gone on the bike. I shall try that either tonight or tomorrow.
I might even attempt a picture or two :blush:

kyuss

Veteran
Yah! Mine have arrived too. I new they were small but bloody hell! They're tiny.

I will try and get a few pics up in the next day or two comparing them with my Electron 10w halogen.

doyler78

You mean I'm not the only one any more. I'm becoming common :tongue:

I know you will not be disappointed.

Actually got my second best commute home time of the year using these tonight :blush: and for someone who has never done any night riding before I bought these I think this says a lot for the confidence they have inspired in me. In fact my brother passed me on the way home and said I was lit up like a Christmas tree thanks to my two cateye's (TL-1100 and TL LD-610 rear lights), rear reflector, hi-vis ankle straps and arm bands, hi-vis seems on my tights, and of course the star my ayups which my brother thought was a motorbike until he got closer and realised it was actually my good self.

bonj2

change your avatar NOW to something other than my avatar or putin. That is not a request it is an order.

Valiant

Veteran
Cam specs as above.

The space in between the pillars is 4 metres. So the back wall is roughly 16 metres back.

Cateye EL530

1696254856_78aa165171.jpg

Dinotte 600L

1695381709_70f0a79310.jpg

Bonus shot.

1694748139_6559eb851d.jpg

Top Bottom