Light rigid MTB forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

battered

Guru
My old MTB is gradually turning into a commuter cum adventure tourer, with panniers, mudguards and semi slicks for touring and light off road use. It has an old Rock Shox Jett 2 fork which is nearly worn out and I want to fit rigids because they will be lighter. The original steel rigid fork weighs 960g which appeared heavy until I looked at some specs on line. Bearing in mind that I do want to retain a light off road capability is there a lighter option available at reasonable cost or am I better just reusing the originals?

Whack the old 'uns back in for now.

There are lots of decent forks knocking around under the benches of bike shops up and down the land. Establish a desired 'hub centre to crown race' dimension for you bike's head angle/ bb height - prob 80mm but worth checking. Then ask around your local bike shops in ever increasing circles.

OP
OP
battered

battered

Guru
That makes sense Mickle, I know a few bike shops here in Leeds and buy a fair bit of stuff from their bits boxes. If however I have already got something that's reasonably light I don't want to spend money to save 50g. Is 960g out of the way?

OP
OP
battered

battered

Guru
It's a new experience for me too! It seems most rigid MTB forks are 1kg or worse, road forks 600-700. I want to retain the MTB capability and I know the original forks are robust enough, I beat them about for 5 years or so without incident. If there isn't anything else about that is significantly better then I may stay with the original. Good old Raleigh Special Products, maybe it wasn't such a bad machine after all back in 1995. Then again, Raleigh do know a bit about making bikes.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I am pretty sure you will not get very meaningful weight reduction if at all from 960g with alternative steel forks. My 531 road forks (with steerer for a 25" frame) are 800g.

Last time I looked all inexpensive (~£100) mtb carbon forks were not much lighter as you have found. To cut 300g at that level of spend the best bet is a pair of used RC31 from ebay. New alternatives are available from DT Swiss, but they are not cheap (and have weight limits).

OP
OP
battered

battered

Guru
Thanks for that, it seems that there is little to be gained and Raleigh fitted decent stuff even to midrange bikes then. I loked up RC31 - they sold new for £160 and a set went on Fleabay for £130 - I'm not spending that even if they do come in at about 700g. I think the old stager will go back to original and I'll concentrate on pedalling it.:smile:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Realistically only two rigid non-OEM forks that have stood the test of time in the UK are Pace RC31's and Kona P2's. The on-one's are lovely, fairly cheap, but are not light.

I'd stick with the stock forks. RSP knew what they were doing.

Top Bottom