light weight lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
beanzontoast said:
I found the CTC article alarming, but not entirely unexpected. The real security value of a lock appears to be that it makes a thief more likely to move on and nick the bike parked next to yours if it isn't locked.

Funny that the article mentioned how motorcycle locks have to pass a more stringent testing regime. I know some motorcycle locks can be really heavy, but it might have been nice to see some of these locks tested too - if it's a good lock, I don't care whether it's meant for a cycle or a motorcycle!
I've not read the full article yet, I've only gave it a quick scan. I was a bit shocked at that stumpi jack or whatever they call it. How can it be legal to sell them, I don't think there any good (good!) for anything else; too small to jack a car.

jashburnham

simonali said:
One of the reasons I got shot of my road bike was that I was paranoid it was gonna get nicked!

That's one of the most depressing things I've read all year. What a sad reason to have to get rid of a bike.

I never lock mine up on cafe stops, just keep an eye on it. Anyway there are ususally so many other cyclists around I don't reckon a thief would get far.

Add to the fact that I use Speedplay Zero pedals and I reckon the bike is safe; ever tried riding them with normal shoes!?

Tynan

Veteran
that £2k bike is lovely and light yeah? bet you can tell is how light, don't forget to add the weight of the locks you plan to carry around

I remember a user on a motorbike forum posting a vid of himself opening expensive Oxford locks with a biro lid, everyone else with one could do it after watching his clip

simonali

Guru
jashburnham said:
That's one of the most depressing things I've read all year. What a sad reason to have to get rid of a bike.

I never lock mine up on cafe stops, just keep an eye on it. Anyway there are ususally so many other cyclists around I don't reckon a thief would get far.

Add to the fact that I use Speedplay Zero pedals and I reckon the bike is safe; ever tried riding them with normal shoes!?

It's chasing after them in your bike shoes that's the hard bit!

That was only one reason for getting shot of it. I didn't ride it that much and just thought it should live with someone who would use it more than I did.

I bought it hoping to re-ignite a passion for cycling and it never happened, so it was a waste of a nice machine to just keep it locked up in the garage! I'm just a fair weather casual bikist now, so I don't really need a 2 grand carbon road bike. :tongue:

davidwalton

Tynan said:
that £2k bike is lovely and light yeah? bet you can tell is how light, don't forget to add the weight of the locks you plan to carry around

No, not light at all. Heavier than most standard bikes with everything I am getting as well.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
If its on a club ride, then get someone to put their bike leaning agaisnt yours. Then the thief will tkes theres and not yours.
I just leave mine outside the cafe. I take my phone and drink off it and just lean it up against something.
If i was going to take a lock then i would get a cheapish cable lock and put it tight to the frame when its locked up and just leave it at that. There are other better bikes there at the cafe stop anyway so i would hope they would take those before mine.

mcd

What is the risk - i.e. has anyone been unfortunate enough to have their bike nicked at a cafe stop?

After living in Glasgow & Reading, I never cease to be amazed at the bikes that people leave unattended & unlocked here. A couple of weeks ago there was a Terry Dolan bike with very smart Mavic wheels in a dark corner outside a supermarket, and I was speaking to someone last night who saw a Pinarello Paris (!) propped up outside an independent record shop!

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

I'm well aware that the type of lock i'm interested in certainly isn't going to stop anyone equipped with even the simplest of tools. However, hopefully it will be enough to stop some little urchin from just grabbing it and riding off while my backs turned.

I do care about loosing my bike, or I wouldn't be after a lock at all. However, having spent a fortune on a light-weight bike I don't want to then go and fit a 10lb lock!

At work I use a New York Fahgettaboudit; but that type of lock is far to heavy to carry around. Consequently It stays locked to the bike sheds at work.

bonj2

An idea RedBike: if you always go to the same cafe, then can you not just leave a lock permanently locked up outside the cafe? Or if there's say 2 or 3 regular cafes you usually stop at, then just get a few locks and leave one locked up outside each one. Then you don't need to carry it with you, but you've got your security whenever you need it.
If your cycle club all stop and park their bikes there, then depending on how amenable they are to it, and what sort of provisions for locking up there are outside the cafe, then you could club together and get a big thick chain for all your bikes?

mcd

RedBike said:
However, hopefully it will be enough to stop some little urchin from just grabbing it and riding off while my backs turned.
And for cafes you visit less often, take the front wheel with you when you go in. A bit of pipe lagging will save the drop-outs (and weighs nothing!).

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
A friend had a lock like that Abus combi-flex, but I can't remember if it was that actual model or just a similar one. Having locked his bike (Trek Madone IIRC:biggrin: ) he then couldn't undo the lock!
Fortunately it only took me 10 seconds to break the lock. With my bare hands.:biggrin:

TheDoctor said:
A friend had a lock like that Abus combi-flex, but I can't remember if it was that actual model or just a similar one. Having locked his bike (Trek Madone IIRC:biggrin: ) he then couldn't undo the lock!
Fortunately it only took me 10 seconds to break the lock. With my bare hands.:biggrin:

Had you left your sonic screwdriver in the Tardis then! Tut, tut.

Top Bottom