Lighter wheels - Do they REALLY make alot of difference?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
So, Im finding that my mouse cursor is hovering over the buy button on these...

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+...eels/Mavic+Ksyrium+Elite+2011+-+Pair_1677.htm

They are, from what I have read, the best compromise of lightweight and strenghth to cope with my 90Kg.
But the thing stopping me press the button is the question... "Are they really going to make much of a difference?"

They are going to be replacing the CXP22 on my secteur. I dont have a problem with those on the secteur, but I often ride alone. I am planning on doing a few 60 mile sportives and as Im hauling my 90kilos around every little extra help will be useful!

Anyone have any experience of these wheels? Especially if you are up to my sort of weight, or have you changed to lighter wheels and really noticed or not noticed a difference?

Cheers for all replies.

l4dva

Guru
I got a pair of theres few months back... they do feel quicker to me and they def stiffer you can feel more of the bumps in the road. they seem to hold speed a lot easier on the flats I can hold 20 mph ish for a lot lot longer than before and hill climbing is def easier. even though the ride is slightly harsher im really not fussed about this as the general quickness of the wheel's out weight that. I'm about 85kgs if that helps too.

The only negative thing I have to report is the fact that they feel slightly more unstable at higher speeds. I'm not sure if the wheels are to blame or the wind.. I have only done a hand full of ride on them and the roads where I used to ride full speed downhill 35mph+ I don't feel as brave doing that in these any more.. it feels like I have a lot of crosswinds making it feel unstable so I have to brake to slow me down.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this??

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
So, Im finding that my mouse cursor is hovering over the buy button on these...

http://www.merlincyc...-+Pair_1677.htm

They are, from what I have read, the best compromise of lightweight and strenghth to cope with my 90Kg.
But the thing stopping me press the button is the question... "Are they really going to make much of a difference?"

They are going to be replacing the CXP22 on my secteur. I dont have a problem with those on the secteur, but I often ride alone. I am planning on doing a few 60 mile sportives and as Im hauling my 90kilos around every little extra help will be useful!

Anyone have any experience of these wheels? Especially if you are up to my sort of weight, or have you changed to lighter wheels and really noticed or not noticed a difference?

Cheers for all replies.

To the average cyclist (under 30 miles a ride) they wont make that much of a difference.

What does make a difference is good hubs, good BB and a decent headset imo. Invest in the rubber too.

Kysrium's a good wheels. Nay great wheels, but to most cyclists they're just cycle-bling.

I got a pair of theres few months back... they do feel quicker to me and they def stiffer you can feel more of the bumps in the road. they seem to hold speed a lot easier on the flats I can hold 20 mph ish for a lot lot longer than before and hill climbing is def easier. even though the ride is slightly harsher im really not fussed about this as the general quickness of the wheel's out weight that. I'm about 85kgs if that helps too.

The only negative thing I have to report is the fact that they feel slightly more unstable at higher speeds. I'm not sure if the wheels are to blame or the wind.. I have only done a hand full of ride on them and the roads where I used to ride full speed downhill 35mph+ I don't feel as brave doing that in these any more.. it feels like I have a lot of crosswinds making it feel unstable so I have to brake to slow me down.

They have wider spokes for strength and moderately deep rims, therefore they will react more to side and diagonal winds very slighty more than shallow rims (think open pros). You sometimes have to relearn to control the front wheel a little more.

Providing the wheels are properly seated and the headset is ok, obviously. When my old headset went on the Marin it made my steering a little s***ty.

l4dva

Guru
Yeah I thought it could be due to the wider spokes.

The rims aren't as deep as my pervious wheels which were 30mm alloy rims, I don't think the mavics are any where near as deep as that but I never experienced this problem with them.

Maybe the wide spokes have a greater effect in cross winds than a slightly areo profile rim?!

The wheels are seated correctly and everything else should be fine, it was serviced not long ago with the new wheels on.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Have just asked my husband about his - he thinks it could have more to do with the crosswinds, he's managed some hair-raising speeds on his without noticing any instability.

He's had the same pair on his bike for about 7 years and done time trials/audaxes/club runs etc etc and they've never needed truing etc (his maximum weight was pushing 90kg). They still run really smoothly and haven't ever been stripped or serviced so he's certainly had good value for money.

I've swapped to some lighter wheels with tightly lced spokes and very smooth hubs. I can feel a difference in the way it handles, and the bike feels generally more responsive with them on, but can't really say they make a huge difference to speed overall.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
They'll definately feel faster amnd the whole bike will feel livelier and more nimble. I have CXP22s on Ultegra hums and they're absolutely bombproof, but not the lightest wheels around, switching to lightweight semi-aero Reynolds wheels was a revelation, it transformed the bike. Make sure you have some fast light tyres and light tubes to compliment them.

OP
OP
PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Also, one more question...

I will be using the 10 speed cassette that is on my cxp22s, I have heard that some wheels will need a 1mm spacer. Do these wheels need it, and will there be one I can use on the cxp22s?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Thanks for the replys.

With regards to tyres, I will be using conti tubes and ultra gatorskin folders.
I wouldn't use gatorskins on a light wheel. It's not the best rubber and is heavier than others due to Kevlar.

Look at something like the vittoria diamante

amaferanga

Veteran
They may make you feel faster, but they won't make you noticeably faster in reality.

Good tyres will make more difference. Michelin Pro 3 Race if you can tolerate the occasional puncture and the fact that they don't last that long, or Michelin Krylion if you want something tougher (but a little less grippy).

PpPete

Legendary Member
I think wheel stiffness makes almost as much difference as weight, especially for the heavier rider.

I'm 90kg, have 2 pairs of wheels:
Fulcrum 7 - nice looking, 20/24 spokes, reasonably light, prob similar quality to your CXP22.
Handbuilt Ambrosio Excellence rims on Hope Pro III hubs. 32/36 spokes. - prob. 100 grams heavier than the Fulcrums.

The Fulcrums are flexible enough that, climbing, out of the saddle, I get some brake rub.

Looking at average speed on similar runs - the handbuilts are certainly no slower - and may even be marginally faster, although that could be down to the rubber.

There was a guy on the club run yesterday with Ksyriums.... have to say they look gorgeous !

montage

God Almighty
I usually race on a pair of shimano rs10s - about £100 for the wheelset. Last week I raced and time trialled on my dads RS80s - about the same price as the ones you have listed, and the difference was noticable in accelleration, especially on the hills. I now have a set of pro-lite gavia's in the post :biggrin:

For that price, I'd have a look at the shimano RS80 wheels as well - I can let you know how the pro-lite fares in a few days

Top Bottom