Lights for city + occasional dark track

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrklaw

Picking up my new bike this week, need to sort out lights.

For the rears I'm thinking the cateye mini as it seems to be compatible with the brompton to fit in the gap under the seat. OK choice or are there others that can also attach there? (Or should I consider attaching/replacing the reflector?)

For the front, I have two uses. Main one will be in the city so more a 'be seen' option. Even on my home leg it'll be on lit streets. However if I miss my train from Slough to Windsor, it may be quicker for me to cycle back from Slough which means cycle tracks alongside the river and across fields (tracks are paved) - so dark and not well let.

Is there a good light that'll work well in both situations, or do I need to consider two? Was thinking the cateye 800. Any issues with mounting on an M handlebar? May need to work alongside a C or S bag (haven't figured that out yet)

Wilder

I bought one of the Brompton Cateye fork mounts from Brompton Junction last summer and have used a Cateye Volt 300 and Cateye Volt 800 with it. As it fits to the fork there are no issue with the handle bars and it sits underneath any bag I have.

OP
OP
M

Mrklaw

I bought one of the Brompton Cateye fork mounts from Brompton Junction last summer and have used a Cateye Volt 300 and Cateye Volt 800 with it. As it fits to the fork there are no issue with the handle bars and it sits underneath any bag I have.

thanks. I guess it needs to mount on the right fork to avoid clashing with the fold? Will try brompton junction this week - need to check out the various bags too.

What do you use for a rear light?

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I have a Niterider on my Brompton - there's a short stretch of my commute that's unlit - it might not be this exact one but it's a similar size. If you put it in the right place on the bars it doesn't affect the fold.

gizmo1994

The Brompton front light is great. It is neatly tucked away over the front brake and you never need to worry about it as it is always there ready for use. Nice and bright too.

Kell

Veteran
Personal view, but I worry about the only light being so low down on the front.

I have two Lezyne Macro/Microdrive 300 lights on the front. And while they're great in town, I'm not sure I'd want them to be my only light for actually lighting up a path.

I did have a Lezyne 600XL light, but the connector got mashed and pushed inside rendering it useless. It was, however, a light you could ride with.

The 500 XL is currently on offer - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-micr...40302&ptaid=aud-131695477502:pla-127996705502

One final word of caution about mounting lights on your bars. They need to be mounted to the left to avoid hitting anything when folding and also, I've never found those rubber mounting strips they come with to do the job of keeping it level - every time I hit a bump, the light would fall further forward till it was pointing straight down.

This can be solved quite easily by buying and fitting one of these:

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Hope-QR-Ha...bMIRsrAlcEqGEwMbbHuaZURrUhTffB0QaAvTIEALw_wcB

OP
OP
M

Mrklaw

Picked up the Cateye Volt 400XC + Rapid mini pack from Cycle Republic for £40 (click and collect via Halfords, otherwise £60 in store).

Kell

Veteran
Also, I've just bought one of the Cateye Mini ones, but I didn't buy it from Brompton (as it was cheaper elsewhere).

The version I got seems to not be the same one Brompton sell as the one on the Brompton site is unique to Brompton as there's a special hole in the underside of the saddle* for it to attach. The one I bought (from Wiggle) doesn't.

It's a bit annoying as this is not very clear on their own website, I only found this out after I'd done the classic thing and thrown away all the packaging. And they don't sell the brackets on their own. Plus, I'm not sure what year my sadlle is. The bike's 3 years' old, but I bought a different coloured seat a year ago maybe...

*2017 onwards.

Last edited:

Wilder

thanks. I guess it needs to mount on the right fork to avoid clashing with the fold? Will try brompton junction this week - need to check out the various bags too.

What do you use for a rear light?

The mount replaces the front reflector, so in the same way doesn’t get in the way of the fold. You can see what a Volt 800 looks like in the picture of my sister’s Brompton.

For the rear on my bike I have the Cateye saddle light and the rear Brompton light that replaces the rear reflector.

Attachments

• 3DF2C0AC-35BD-496A-A441-6084109A5955.jpeg
    3DF2C0AC-35BD-496A-A441-6084109A5955.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 79
OP
OP
M

Mrklaw

Also, I've just bought one of the Cateye Mini ones, but I didn't buy it from Brompton (as it was cheaper elsewhere).

The version I got seems to not be the same one Brompton sell as the one on the Brompton site is unique to Brompton as there's a special hole in the underside of the saddle* for it to attach. The one I bought (from Wiggle) doesn't.

It's a bit annoying as this is not very clear on their own website, I only found this out after I'd done the classic thing and thrown away all the packaging. And they don't sell the brackets on their own. Plus, I'm not sure what year my sadlle is. The bike's 3 years' old, but I bought a different coloured seat a year ago maybe...

*2017 onwards.

Same. Spent a good 5 minutes trying to figure out how these bits of plastic would mount to the seat. Answer - they don’t! Luckily I have an extended seat post so there is space to mount it there

Kell

Veteran
As it turns out, it wouldn't have fitted my saddle anyway, as mine doesn't have the cut out.

I did think that it attached to the rails, so if I'd bought the one I thought I was buying, it wouldn't have fitted. Luckily, I got it wrong and, like you, have the extended seatpost so it fits.

+1 on the lezyne 'flat' ligjt mounted on the legtof the stem .Works well for me. If I was doing pitch blsck occasionally I'd just mount a Cree led torch on the bars.

Top Bottom