Lights for winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shinigami

Out tonight to look at the meteor shower. Thinking of taking my bike but realised its getting darker earlier now. Best investigate new lights. My gf just bought a set from ASDA for a tenner & they look OK (although a bit bulky) any suggestions ? Need one with long lasting battery, small, secure and not too expensive ?

Kies

Long lasting battery,secure,small and cheap!!!!

Good luck with that ;-)

Two types of front light - to see with or to be seen with. The lattar being much cheaper.

snorri

Legendary Member
My gf just bought a set from ASDA for a tenner & they look OK (although a bit bulky) any suggestions ? Need one with long lasting battery, small, secure and not too expensive ?
As Kies alluded to, you will have to decide if you need lights to see with, or, if your night time cycling is in urban areas with street lighting you may just need lights in order to comply with the law. I think it unlikely the Asda lights will give sufficient light for cycling in darkness.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I got my front lights from Clas Ohlsen, £9.99 and they are excellent. They need AA batteries and seem to last a goodly time.
I live in a rural area and we have no street lights. They lights have a good throw of light and we can see well when cycling along. We can certainly be seen by other road users. We saw them at £14.99 online but they were cheaper in the shop last October. Of course, they may well have gone up in the shop by now.

vickster

Legendary Member
Cateye's range isn't bad for urban use - long lasting battery, wiith duracell plus or a steady supply of rechargeables. Or just buy Kodak Extra from Poundland like me :blush:

I need a better front light to fit on the headtube as I have no room on my narrow bars with the crosslevers, sugggestions? My cheap cateye one really isn't much cop

All ready a thread going "Best Lights" and another "Lights!!" Still undecided whether to get a cheap Chinese Cree or more expensive Cateye. What I want is a reasonable powerful light with batteries that can be changed and all for under £50 (originally it had been under £30)

Archeress

Veteran
I've got the 25 set by Smart. They're quite powerful, but the front is a very narrow beam, so although powerful maybe a little difficult in complete darkness.

Hugs
Archeress x

Kies

go for the cree xmlt6 you can pick them up for 15 quid now on ebay. I have personally been less than impressed by cat eye durability.

I see them on eBay, but not sure about batteries, or battery packs, chargers etc. Sorry for the basic question, I know nothing about these things

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Go for a mixture- I have a Moon xp 300 to see by (on unlit roads) coupled with a £7 smart light which I set to flash to be seen by.
I feel we have several months of these queries coming up, not seen a 'just got wet on my commute- what's the best 100% waterproof jacket' thread yet.

Top Bottom