Lights, front mainly, for country lane commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rykard

Veteran
Hi,
My neice is after some lights for her country lane commute. The lughrs are to see with rather than to be seen. Her budget is around £50, is this doable?
What are the current deals atm?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I bought a full tyre dynamo setup (Axa HR + bracket + Axa Pico 30 Steady + Axa Riff Steady + some wires) for that, mail order from Bike-Discount.com - it's fine for dark tree-lined country lanes near me.

If you want battery, Axa Greenline or Cateye GVolt (not Volt) look like the best bets to me. Lidl had some OK own-brand ones (40 lux on high, so slightly brighter than my Pico, although only 2.5h on that brightness) for £10 a few weeks ago but I bet they've all sold out by now.

BrynCP

Über Member
I have a Wiggle Lifeline 500 lumen and I go out on unlit roads and it's great, 2 hrs highest setting 4 hrs lower setting. Enough light either side and plenty in front. Can't comment on longevity because I've only needed to use it the last month or so.

It was about £25 but it looks like they've stopped selling it.

They have a 375 and a 700 lumen for £22 and £35 respectively but cannot comment on those, the 700lumen comes in the same casing.

Wobblers

Euthermic
If you want battery, Axa Greenline or Cateye GVolt (not Volt) look like the best bets to me. Lidl had some OK own-brand ones (40 lux on high, so slightly brighter than my Pico, although only 2.5h on that brightness) for £10 a few weeks ago but I bet they've all sold out by now.

I've got the Lidl 40 lux light. It's actually not too bad and gives a decent shaped beam. I don't think it's quite bright enough for cycling at speed down a dark lane, but for a gentle pootle it should be okay. Two of them would probably be a reasonable solution - if you can find any, that is!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have recently got an Izone Arc 850. Well made, very bright, good focused spread of light, USB rechargeable and waterproof. I paid circa £35 after using a discount code at Treadz. I got a bit p'd off with crap battery life after a few months use on cheap solarstorm etc lights from China. Hope something designed and distributed by a UK company may have better longevity.

OP
OP
R

Rykard

Veteran
some interesting options here, what is the average battery life? 1-2 hours may not be enough for her... I am trying to find out her journey lengths

dim

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Smart 700 or Cateye Volt 300 (just good enough for a to see by light) search my username and either light for the longer sales pitch and extensive usage history for both

or of the budget can stretch a few Quid Cateye Volt 800 is very good too.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
some interesting options here, what is the average battery life? 1-2 hours may not be enough for her... I am trying to find out her journey lengths
Battery life seems to be a casualty of a combination of built-in batteries and the modern fetish for using high lumen ratings to overcome naff lenses, with 2-3 hours seeming fairly common now. If you're willing to cut it fine with a 20 lux mode (really the lower limit for seeing on wet, dark country roads IMO), then you can double that. Compare that to the early countryside-ready 20 lux LED headlights which used pairs of removable C or AA cells and do 10 hours between recharges of 2000mAh batteries - it's the main reason I still have a near-antique held together with tape on my folding bike.

But really, for an indefinite use time between recharge opportunities, I feel dynamo lighting is still worth the minor niggle of wiring it up.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
http://road.cc/content/review/76831-moon-x-power-300-front-light

I've been using one of these for just that purpose for the past couple of years and highly recommend it. I rarely need to use the overdrive beam, and it has four levels of brightness plus a far-too-bright flash setting.

The only drawback I have found is that the mounting bracket does not fit if you have cross/inline brake levers as there is so much bulk at the front. I have had to put a secondary accessory rail on my winter commuting bike just to take the light. I paid under £40 for mine but at this time of the year you may need to hunt about a bit to get one at that price.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
How long would she be riding on totally unlit roads ?
My commute has sections of lit and unlit so i use a solarstorm x2 light for the unlit sections and a lower power light for the lit sections , this also means if one light fails then i have a back up one way or the other.

Top Bottom