Lights - Just Me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
This time of year, I have one of these front and back... they're ace! (and I don't work for the company)
frog5b.jpg

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Bike wears lights all year round. These come on when murky or raining.

Pannier carries hi-viz vest all time. This is worn when dark/rain/overcast.

Fnaar said:
This time of year, I have one of these front and back... they're ace! (and I don't work for the company)
frog5b.jpg

I carry a front & back one of them with the PR kit as backup. However since I could see that lights were needed this morning on the walk to the shed it was simply a matter of taking the lights out of the drawer and clipping on the bike after a battery check.

potsy

Rambler
Had mine on yesterday at 4pm,only saw a handful of other cyclist's but I was the only one with lights on.
I think that if they're there I might as well use them,especially when it's raining and cloudy,re-chargeable batteries so why not?

I use lights whenever it's gloomy or raining. No question. I'd like to be noticed, and told apart from a piece of street furniture when looked at through a rain-spattered window. I don't go anywhere without my lights. Not even to the corner shop.

Dunno...there is something about rain...Like I don't want some twat cutting in front of me when my brakes are likely to not be as good as normal.So I stick my lights on so hopefully it assists in them seeing me quicker.

I'm amazed how few people carry lights. I've been out on an evening ride - an evening ride - with experienced and, you'd think, responsible, cyclists, and, as it got dark, a couple of them rooted round in their bags and pulled out deeply inadequate lights which were almost falling apart. Several others had nothing at all.

And I've been with a youth cycling group - again for an evening - when I noticed at the start that a lot of the kids didn't have any lights. Then I noticed that the ride leader didn't either!

I wonder how some people manage.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Another with lights here. I (almost) always turn my lights on when it rains. I've also got a spare set of lights stashed away for those inevitable "doh!" moments when I realise I've forgotten to pack my lights - or attach the pannier to the bike!

Twenty Inch said:
I can't BELIEVE you had LIGHTS on!!!!! What about the KITTENS???!!!!!

Excellent idea... I am going to gaffer tape a few kittens onto my bike tomorrow

The idea is that drivers will not want to harm the kittens and give me more room!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
BSRU said:
Shame there is no EU shop where they can be purchased. I imagine UK customs will want a hefty whack of cash to let them in the country from the US.

Yep, UK customs also held up delivery by a week... :smile:

phaedrus

Hub dynamo with B & M standlights front and rear, so I have lights on pretty much all the time. I figure it helps me to be visible and costs nothing, so why not?

Oh, and roller brakes so rain isn't an issue for stopping.

Armegatron

Rain or dull weather and I put the lights on. I experience worse driving in these conditions so I prefer to make myself as visible as possible. Flasher on the front (oh er) and flasher + steady on the rear.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
On again this morning.

Pity the car drivers who often complain that cyclists should wear hi-viz to be seen should themselves fail to use their lights in dreich, misty & rainy Edinburgh.

Top Bottom