Lights. What are the real standards?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Brilliant USB rechargeable lights which also double nicely as torches
Do those literal torches actually meet any laws? Did the satire of trapping fireflies in Roses wrappers confuse you into thinking this is another lighting recommendations topic, rather than someone asking what the laws actually say?

classic33

Leg End Member
Triple Bike Trailers.jpg

Where does the law, at present, say that lights must be fitted on the above?
Type and position, and how many.

As for the Roses, the surprise was anyone thinking there'd been a Hazelnut Surprise.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

triple-bike-trailers-jpg.155667.jpg

Where does the law, at present, say that lights must be fitted on the above?
Type and position, and how many.
At least one white on the front of the bike, at least one red on its rear, centre or offside, between 35cm and 150cm above the ground, then at least one red on the rear of each trailer, same position. See http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/1/made and I don't think that aspect has been amended yet BICBW.

classic33

Leg End Member
So where do you think what's required and why?
Having had to get the above, with a recumbent instead of a bike, checked for road legalitity. I was informed that the whole system required a single white light to the front, and a single red light at the rear.

Any other rear mounted lights would be obscured from view by the trailer behind it.

mjr

Having had to get the above, with a recumbent instead of a bike, checked for road legalitity. I was informed that the whole system required a single white light to the front, and a single red light at the rear.

Any other rear mounted lights would be obscured from view by the trailer behind it.
Only obscured when viewed from directly behind (legally-sufficient lights are visible from some way off to the side) and only if the trailer load is higher than the lamp. The line of red lights is still informative to someone overtaking or approaching from the side.

Who informed you and do you think that agrees with the tables in the RVLR?

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
Who cares? The police would just be happy you've got lights at all. Are they really going to pull you over and Nick you? If it ever went to court they would be nationally ridiculed.

mjr

Who cares? The police would just be happy you've got lights at all. Are they really going to pull you over and Nick you? If it ever went to court they would be nationally ridiculed.
I agree that there's pretty much no chance of being nicked if you've minimal lighting that doesn't take the pee, but legal lights have the twin advantages of having good beam shapes and not troubling oncoming road users if aimed level and some people care about not being a dick to oncoming riders.

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
I agree that there's pretty much no chance of being nicked if you've minimal lighting that doesn't take the pee, but legal lights have the twin advantages of having good beam shapes and not troubling oncoming road users if aimed level and some people care about not being a dick to oncoming riders.
k
Pick a decent manufacturer, spend a few quid and aim them slightly down and jobs a goodun.

classic33

Leg End Member
Doesn't always work that way. Bit mis-leading for the OP, who's not been back since posting the questions.

Doesn't always work that way. Bit mis-leading for the OP, who's not been back since posting the questions.

He may well have been back, but just didnt log in. I often do this on forums coz I cant be arsed to log in just to check new posts.

Now that the topic has already been made off; what is your opinion on the Cateye Volt6000? (apart from being slightly cheaper than the ISS)

Top Bottom