1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lights

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by PBancroft, 12 Dec 2007.

1. PBancroft

PBancroft Senior Member

I've been cycling on and off for the last year, but never in the dark, and never over winter.

One thing I've noticed over the past few weeks are the numbers of different options for lights... and I don't just mean the units. There are a lot of flashies - blinking rear lights, blinking front lights, and static ones too.

I've always assumed that static lights were best - sure blinkies attract the attention of drivers, but they also potentially distract them from other hazards. And blinking front lights can't illuminate the road ahead all that well... can they?

So what is best, and what should be used?

2. I use both flashing and solid, touch wood its worked so far.

3. smart lights are very good and cheep ish go for L,E,D as they dont drain your batterys to fast.

4. thats a good way to do it. I have 4 lights (2 front and 2 back)

5. OP
    OP
    PBancroft

PBancroft Senior Member

That makes a certain sense. Does anyone know what the law says?

6. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

I have four lights plus a head torch at night. Two blinking and two static BRIGHT lights. I also carry a fresh set of charged up batteries with me in case of failure(I use rechargeables). In addition to that I always wear my Altura night vision jacket. My bib longs also have reflective strips as do my shoes and my over shoes....& my gloves . I also wear a white hat which I am told is easier to see at night in the lights as well.

So far I think it works because I am still alive. In any event come the day that one of these bastards does actually flatten me he wont have any excuse that he didnt see me and th elife assurance peeps wont be able to use any lack of correct lighting/clothing as an excuse either.

7. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Hello, Hello, Hello. What's goin' on here then ?

8. There is no light excluding the big ones that take D cell's that comform to the law (BS). But you can not have just flashing lights as ive been stoped by cops loads well 4 times and been told so.

The law is open to how you wish to read it on this one.

9. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Staff Member

The law was changed recently .... can't remember how long back ... flashers are allowed ;).

Someone will be along with the link .. or I'll go and look for it.

Looked and hopefully this link will work:
    http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4071
    If not go to CTC site and search on light flashing.

10. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Before the law changed 2 years ago only lights carrying a BS mark were legal.

Now the law has changed it's ambiguous and contradictory, but you are allowed flashing only lights. That's the simple bit.

Officially they are only legal though, if they also have a static mode (as they all do), if they are BS approved. There are also legal requirements about brightness and flash frequency.

But the guidance states that as long as the lights carry some kind of European approval you'll be ok.

So as long as you are lit you're ok, flashing or not. Tell the police they're wrong if you really get stopped.

11. Old Walrus

Old Walrus Über Member

As I've said on another thread.....as a Cop if I see a bike with any sort of life it's a bonus! Sadly the norm is dark clothing, no lights and commonsense sorely lacking.

12. OP
    OP
    PBancroft

PBancroft Senior Member

I can believe that. Yesterday I saw a guy cycling with no lights in the dark wearing shorts and a t-shirt (in December!). Even his panniers didn't have reflectors.

I think if I'm going to cycle in the dark, I'll go the four light route.

13. baggytrousers

baggytrousers Well-Known Member

14. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

I don't ride at night, but I use a Smart 1/2 Watt rear light when it is raining ir misty. It is the brightest back light I have ever seen, almost like a car brake light and under fourteen quid at Wiggle.

As a driver I don't like flashing rear lights, it makes speed, distance and changes of position much harder to judge.

15. davidwalton

davidwalton New Member

I thought you could use any BS or EC marked lighting. Fogged up by them saying....

"Lights and reflectors not conforming to the BS, but conforming to a corresponding standard of another EC country and marked accordingly, are considered to comply as long as that standard provides an equivalent level of safety."

Anyone know all the equivalent standards that apply?;) Seems we are meant to.

....plus it makes me laugh that recumbent cycles STILL need to have reflectors on their pedals to show to those beneath and above.