Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
It's horses for courses. If your cycling is all going to be in town where there are lots of streetlights, flashing lights at both ends may be fine -as a legal minimum.

If you're going anywhere really dark, you'll need to spend a bit more money on at least a really good, steady front light, whatever you have at the back. If you do this at all often or at unpredictable intervals, a dynamo is worth considering.

When I'm driving, it's busy, dark and there's lots of other traffic and confusing lit-up things, I find that it can be hard to judge the position and speed of a bike visible only by flashing lights. A reflective jacket and/or steady lights are much easier to place. So I'd reccommend that whatever else you do, get yourself a high-viz and reflective jacket. You can get them at most pound shops (I forget the price...).

I like to use at least one steady light, and a flasher as well at the back.

Where I cycle, I need the brightest steady front light I can afford; if I go into town, I may switch to a second front light that uses less power but is a bigger disc of light to oncoming drivers.

Driving into York recently , we got stalled in traffic (I'd said we should use bikes, but Mrs Uncle Phil had to drop off a sewing machine, and it was dark and raining...). Queuing down Gillygate, we counted 67 cyclists passing us. Only 33 were fully and legally lit. (And one of them was a policeman).

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Phil said:
You can get them at most pound shops (I forget the price...).

75p?;)

Driving into York recently , we got stalled in traffic (I'd said we should use bikes, but Mrs Uncle Phil had to drop off a sewing machine, and it was dark and raining...). Queuing down Gillygate, we counted 67 cyclists passing us. Only 33 were fully and legally lit. (And one of them was a policeman).

Woo, nearly half! That seems quite good!

Although, to be fair, I was riding down to the Millennium Bridge , along the riverside path, last night, and saw several lights 'dancing about' ahead of me. Got closer and saw it was a load of kids practising BMXing on the bench area next to the bridge, and they all had front lights on, which impressed me...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
A kid (age 10) told me just last week the police had stopped him scooting on his bike in the dark on the path and told him he couldn't do that without lights. I was suprised (given his age) but it obviously made an impression.... he now has lights:smile:.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Kaipaith said:
That makes a certain sense. Does anyone know what the law says?

If you really want to know what the law actually states see Statutory Instrument 1989 No. 1796 and Statutory Instrument 2005 No. 2559, be warned it is not written in plain English. For a translation in to something more readable see the DfT version or CTC version.

As to how many lights, the more the better, personally I have four at the front and three are the rear. I still get cut up by drivers but most of that is deliberate and not because they didn't see me...

It is best to have a mixture of steady and flashing in order to be seen. Where there is no street lighting you will need steady lights to see where you are going, the brighter (therefore more expensive) the more you will see and the faster you can go...

ratty2k

I have 3 front and 2 rear. Front lights consist of a Dinotte set on blind, a USE Expsure off road raceturbo light (seriously bright!) and a head torch. The rear are cateye LED's and about the brightest I could find, although, I may still get a Dinotte rear light......

biking_fox

Guru
I'd reiterate the point about always having spare batteries with you. Particularly for LEDs the light will die very quickly - and it's all to easy to know the switch on in a rucksack during the day or have water/cold stop them working.

As with everything, it's probably worth buying something worthwhile, but I've found little that lasts more than 1 or 2 years.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Uncle Phil - sewing machines and bikes......sounds like my house - as many machines as bikes......argh ! And the same sky high price !

Back on topic - I use 6 sets of lights - 2 x backup thingy's on my rucksac - one front/one rear, two cat eye leds on flashing - front/rear (that have constant mode) and an old set of 'original' BLT's on constant, that are bright as hell, but aren't EU/BS marked..... and never were from 15 years ago. (The BLT's were the first sets imported to the UK before they got better known, and the only alternative was the Ever-ready D cell units.....) - good £80 spent in 1992 money - still going, third battery and a few bulbs and power wires later........)

Plax

Guru
I have two lights on the rear and two on the front and have just recently added a light to my helmet. I have one set flashing and one set on steady beam. The helmet light is on steady beam. I've found the helmet light very useful for telling time, being able unlock the bike and attracting the attention of car drivers coming out of side roads etc.

I have 1 on the front cateye and 2 on the rear 1 of the rear one is cateye which is under the saddle and a smart on the panniers, but will have to get a florescent jacket, anyone wear florescent jacket.

Smokin Joe said:
I don't ride at night, but I use a Smart 1/2 Watt rear light when it is raining ir misty. It is the brightest back light I have ever seen, almost like a car brake light and under fourteen quid at Wiggle.

Smoking Joe, does the smart have a fitting that fits on the seatstays by any chance? I hate having mine on the seatpost, but can't find any of the new lights with seatstay fittings...

Top Bottom