Lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
Have got my winter light setup now. 2 x Smart 1/2 watts at the rear (one static, one flashing) and the RPS Asteri 6 setup on the front (not sure whether to go one static, one flashing or both on). Total cost £93. Should get seen, and be able to see, now. :biggrin:

I have a Smart on the rear but have no more room on the seat post. Any other places to mount ?

Having 2 would be a lot better.

They should come with mount for the seat stays... one on either side (assuming you have no panniers).

AlanW

Guru
[QUOTE 1194031"]
I've just picked up the last two from our local Aldi. Well made and have a flashing mode. Noticeably brighter, though with a smaller beam, than my Tesco torches. Ideal for a helmet light.

Now, which are the best mounts for torches on helmets?
[/quote]

I purchased two of those Aldi torches on Thursday and have mounted them on my lid with only two Velcro straps. I went out with my new helmet set up Friday evening, sort of odd and weird riding experience really.

Because of how I have them mounted, the left one shines over to the right, and the right to the left. In the cross over of light you have a huge patch of white light just where you need it. Then further up the road you have these two very clear and sharp white "eyes".
icon_cool.gif

Who remembers the Mysterons, from Captain Scarlet?

The down side is that when a car is coming towards you, you must avoid the temptation to move your head upwards.
icon_cry.gif

On the plus side though, if they don't dip their lights, give 'em a good 'ole stare.........
icon_mrgreen.gif

dsc04886b.jpg
dsc04887d.jpg

Davidc

Guru
The really sad thing is that while people on here are wondering if 3 bright back lights are overkill there are far too many people out there on bikes with no lights at all, frequently with no reflectors either, and usually wearing matt black clothing.

Saw several yesterday evening. Keep that up and they're going to get hit.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
The really sad thing is that while people on here are wondering if 3 bright back lights are overkill there are far too many people out there on bikes with no lights at all, frequently with no reflectors either, and usually wearing matt black clothing.

Saw several yesterday evening. Keep that up and they're going to get hit.

While I agree there are too many people who ride without lights at night, the odd thing is that very few of them turn up in the accident statistics. The vast majority of collisions involving cycle being hit by motor vehicles are in full day light. Maybe it is just that motorist take more care at night...

Captain

I just got the Cateye TL-LD1100.
It's pretty nifty, nice and bright and too many different settings.
the top and bottom are seperate halves (settings wise) so I put solid on the bottom and random flashing on the top so its quite eye-catching. the lights are also pretty strong, ive never blinded myself with red light before but these managed it.
Bit expensive though

fimm

Veteran
... there are far too many people out there on bikes with no lights at all, frequently with no reflectors either, and usually wearing matt black clothing. Saw several yesterday evening.

Well, if you saw them, they can't have been that invisible, can they?

<puts away wooden spoon>

Davidc

Guru
While I agree there are too many people who ride without lights at night, the odd thing is that very few of them turn up in the accident statistics. The vast majority of collisions involving cycle being hit by motor vehicles are in full day light. Maybe it is just that motorist take more care at night...

I've pondered that one.

I wonder if it's that most (but not all) of the lights-free bikes are in built up areas so they do get seen just about soon enough in the street lights, out in the unlit countryside bikes are usually well lit at both ends.

I think most drivers are as you say more attentive at night, but have no actual evidence for that. There are plenty who aren't though.

When driving I've certainly had some uncomfortable moments with unlit cyclists, on the other hand I find sensibly lit bikes easier to spot at night than unlit bikes during the day, which just means I usually see them earlier.

Could just be that a lot of the unlit bikes are running into pedestrians on pavements instead.

Davidc

Guru
Well, if you saw them, they can't have been that invisible, can they?

It's how soon you see them when driving that matters. My experience is that I see anyone with a good light in plenty of time to negotiate them safely. Unlit or badly lit bikes mean that sometimes the margin is too close for comfort (my comfort anyway).

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
It's how soon you see them when driving that matters. anyway).
I totally agree - I have a few idiots that ride without lights and dressed in black near me. When I drive, as a cyclist I look out for people on 2 wheels - but there have been several times where I've not seen them. Fortunately I'm from the "double check before setting off" school and have on the 2nd look. Not everyone does this though. They're dicing with serious injury/death!!

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
Got the Smart 1/2 watts last night and they're now fitted. I can't believe how bright they are!!! Anyone who claims not to see those suckers should not only not be on the road but should be given a white stick!!:biggrin:

thomas

the tank engine
It depends what price you can get hold of it for really. It's a bit old now and can be overpriced. Imho the blackburn 4, smart 7 and smart 1/2 watt are all better lights for the money. Nothing wrong with the 600, just very overpriced. Prices vary for all of these though.

Not read the thread...but., I just got my blackburn mars 4 this morning and I am having to touch type as I'm completely blind. It has a handy "try me" button and I pushed it and it went straight into my eyes...and hurt a little :laugh:

I had a cateye 610 but it went wrong. Probably wouldn't go for cat eye again in the future to be honest.

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
Just fitted the RSP 6's in my lunchtime! Now have two x yellow dots in my eyes from aligning them (one for the near road, one for the up and coming road). Seem bright (based on aforementioned dots) but the acid test will be the country lane in a couple of weeks when the clocks go back!! Certainly if anyone gets an eyefull they'll know I'm there!!

Top Bottom