lightweight or deore

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kronenpochi

I've been planning on upgrading my cassette for a while now, and I've been thinking is it worth to get a lighter cassette about 400g 11-50t or getting the Shimano Deore M6100 12 speed which is heavier but has 10-51t gear range. which one should i get?

Sharky

Guru
I wouldn't stray too far from what you have now, in terms of the number of sprockets and numbers of teeth. Any major variance might need new gear/brake levers and a new RD.

What do you have now?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Can't be more than 150g in it surely - hardly worth bothering about. Don't the 10-51 & 11-50 need different types of freehubs as well so stick with what you're running at the moment.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
I've been planning on upgrading my cassette for a while now, and I've been thinking is it worth to get a lighter cassette about 400g 11-50t or getting the Shimano Deore M6100 12 speed which is heavier but has 10-51t gear range. which one should i get?

Can't imagine a tooth difference will make any compatibility differences

The Deore will (PROBABLY) last longer and be cheaper, the other will be marginally lighter, SRAM amongst other do Shimano compatible cassettes

Modern high sprocket count cassettes are designed originally using the exotic materials and contruction of high end groupsets. The thinner and closer sprockets trickle down to stamped steel groupsets. I'm not sure at which sprocket count, steel is just too flexy compared to the high end stuff.

OP
OP
K

kronenpochi

I wouldn't stray too far from what you have now, in terms of the number of sprockets and numbers of teeth. Any major variance might need new gear/brake levers and a new RD.

What do you have now?
well currently i have a 11-50t cassette but i was initially planning on changing my current one to make my bike look more aesthetically pleasing, since i've upgraded most parts of my bike already.

Top Bottom