Limited technical knowhow prob means I should dump!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looks perfectly sound to me, even the teeth on the middle chainring don't look that bad. You might just get away with a new cassette and new chain, and a new bb. Brakes tend not to wear out, but probably just need new pads and adjustment. Best to replace cables too. How are the wheels ?

Looks can be deceiving.

I've listed as FUBAR just from sight:
1) Rear jockey wheels
2) All three chainrings (you have to look for the shark fin shape on the power stroke sections of the ring)
3) Cassette
4) Chain (By implication of the cassette being FUBAR)

The OP listed the BB and my guess is the headset won't be to great either.

Like someone said, the cables are almost certainly horrible and my guess is that the brake pads are full of crunchy aluminium and the rims are concave or on the way there. The wheelbearings need servicing and probably new cones and balls at the very least.

Although brakes dont' really wear, they can become so corroded that they won't return in unison and getting them "balanced" may be impossible.

It can be done but the best way to do these things is to strip, chuck and replace all worn parts at once. At least the frame still looks good and I think the patio table is ok too.

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
Looks perfectly sound to me, even the teeth on the middle chainring don't look that bad. You might just get away with a new cassette and new chain, and a new bb. Brakes tend not to wear out, but probably just need new pads and adjustment. Best to replace cables too. How are the wheels ?
I think what you say is correct the chain and cassette def needs replacing as were slipping in and out of gear and the bottom bracket has movement and rattles. The rims look rather worn and I suspect that the best way to approach that is try to source some second hand wheels. I presume that the brakes will suffice when cleaned, adjusted and brake pads etc.....it's beginning to sound easier than I thought (although I use that term loosely) I have to admit that that frame in its neutral unpainted finish still retains a very pleasing quality Finally if I removed that rather ugly rack and the fly away mudguards it might look half decent....

Depends what you want to restore it for. My old work bike is far worse than that, I replaced it 4 years ago but then brought it out of retirement to try out studded tyres. So although the transmission is very badly worn indeed whilst the gears are still just about working I'm happy to keep it going as is, this being because I'm only needing it for a few weeks per year, ie when I need the studded tyres.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I think the rack looks good, high capacity. Mudguards could use proper spacing around the wheel, But power train could be sacrificed for something newer. try running some penetrating oil through those shifters before getting rid of them, but I don't think they'll be too expensive to replace. You appear to have a good frame there, and that's a starting point. Wheel reflector.

S.Giles

On the other hand, the weight weenie trend has seen a large aftermarket for replacement bolts made from aluminium and titanium. Both these materials are weaker than steel but in many cases, titanium is fine. For instance, as a derailer pulley bolt, a disc brake bolt of even as a stem bolt if there are four of them.

Aluminium is just rubbish for the job, I can't think of a single legit application for such bolts.

Holding greenhouses together. There's NO WAY I'd ever ride a bicycle that was held together with aluminium bolts!

sgl5gjr

Strip it and replace like for like.... simple... or find a good Pro Bike Mechanic nearly to do the bits you are not confident to do...and do the rest yourself....

As I always say.... "We can all Fix a bike....... but when it all goes wrong.... there is always a Pro Mechanic who can and will help"

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I've just refurbed my old MTB, spent around £100 on worn out parts and then another £50 on other bits or so, just because I got carried away, to give you some idea of snowballing costs!

the snail

Guru
I don't think you should strip the whole bike down, you'll end up with lots of parts to store, and create a daunting task for yourself and it may never get reassembled. Plus a lot of tasks are easier to do with the bike assembled. First off I'd go over the bike and see what needs replacing, e.g. is there play in the wheel bearings, headset, how concave are the rims. Add up the cost of parts and see how economically viable it is. Then I'd tackle it one thing at a time.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Compared to some of the bikes I've seen recently that looks pristine, I'd service/replace the BB, change the cassette and chain fit new brake blocks and recable it then if you decide to uprate the wheels, rear mech and crank you'll have a decent starting point.

Top Bottom