'Limited to 70mph'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I saw another one of those "This vehicle is limited to 70mph" stickers today, on a Murphys van.

This one didn't claim to be caring for the environment, like the one I saw on the Php van. But under the 70mph bit, it said "Apologies for any inconvenience".

Um? No one, bar emergency vehicle drivers, should be going at more than 70mph. So who do they think they are inconveniencing?

More coporate bollocks.

Holdsworth

Über Member
Maybe it is meant to be seen as a joke, just a thought.

the snail

Guru
So who do they think they are inconveniencing?

More coporate bollocks.

probably the company manaqgement/sales folk in their flash bmws etc. Still, I think it is a step in the right direction, so my carriage will definitely be limited to 70mph henceforth :angel:

cloggsy

Boardmanist
The buses at the school were I work are restricted to 62mph (EU Directive.)

You'll find a lot of people who drive vans/minibuses etc. for a living are blissfully unaware of what speed limits their vehicles have on many roads (i.e. 50mph on National Speed Limit single carriageways etc.)

abo

The buses at the school were I work are restricted to 62mph (EU Directive.)

You'll find a lot of people who drive vans/minibuses etc. for a living are blissfully unaware of what speed limits their vehicles have on many roads (i.e. 50mph on National Speed Limit single carriageways etc.)

If I forgot the finer points of *my* job then my boss would be having words! :tongue:

I saw a van the other day which was 'limited to 58mph'. 58 mph???

If I forgot the finer points of *my* job then my boss would be having words! :tongue:

I saw a van the other day which was 'limited to 58mph'. 58 mph???

Aren't vans restricted to 60mph on everything but motorways? There're quite a few places where vans stay local and won't get near a motorway, plus I think hire vans are restricted too, which prohibits them from going into the outside lane of a motorway, so the speed restriction sticker would kick in there too.

Then again, this could be pure nonsense.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Aren't vans restricted to 60mph on everything but motorways? There're quite a few places where vans stay local and won't get near a motorway, plus I think hire vans are restricted too, which prohibits them from going into the outside lane of a motorway, so the speed restriction sticker would kick in there too.

Then again, this could be pure nonsense.

The speed restriction sticker should be unecessary. No one should be travelling at more than 70 anyway, regardless of vehicle. The only people inconvenienced by it are people who are speeding, and they don't deserve an apology.

I can see the point of a sticker on a vehicle limited to a lower speed than the maximum, just, although common sense and patience on the part of the following driver should be enough. But why limit a vehicle to 70? The device that limits it to 70 should be the lump of meat in the driver's seat.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Maybe it is meant to be seen as a joke, just a thought.

That would be nice, but somehow I can't imagine it. It wasn't obvious enough. Having seen lots of these stickers, claiming all sorts of caring reasons, I think it's just a daft PR thing.

I think I'll have a sticker made for our electric truck. "This vehicle is limited to 12mph (due to being old and decrepit) and if you don't like it, we'll tip gungy dog food cans all over your bonnet."

Iain p

Recovery truck (transit van flatbed ) at work is restricted to 56mph. No stickers on outside.

The speed restriction sticker should be unecessary. No one should be travelling at more than 70 anyway, regardless of vehicle. The only people inconvenienced by it are people who are speeding, and they don't deserve an apology.

I can see the point of a sticker on a vehicle limited to a lower speed than the maximum, just, although common sense and patience on the part of the following driver should be enough. But why limit a vehicle to 70? The device that limits it to 70 should be the lump of meat in the driver's seat.

I was actually referring to the 58mph one.

The 70mph is one is possibly a joke, but could also save someone getting het up if the 70mph restricted vehicle seems to be taken an age to overtake as being restricted can mean a reduction in pace on hills etc.

Also with allowance for speedo error, more likely limited to a real 65mph, possibly compounded by another vehicle showing 70mph but doing 75mph in reality as speedos can be affected by temperature, tires etc and aren't that accurate.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My wife's work colleagues did the Three Peaks hike this weekend in 24 hours. Their major issue was the mini bus they hired was limited to 62 mph. Was a right struggle making up time. They managed the challengs with about 20 minutes to spare.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
A combo of greenwash and 'making sure our staff behave'. On the latter point corporate manslaughter legislation has made employers look very carefully at driving at work. In my organisation, admitedly a government dept so no factories or large machinery, driving on duty is the biggest risk by a country mile.

My guess would be that limiting to 70 is part of managing driving risk.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
It would be funny if one day someone got it the wrong way round ... "Limit the fleet to 70mph you say? Right you are! You're the boss!" The following day the first driver turns up, gets in the van, starts the engine, puts it in gear ... and it forcibly accelerates to 70mph and refuses to go any slower.
biggrin.gif

Top Bottom