'Limited to 70mph'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I saw another one of those "This vehicle is limited to 70mph" stickers today, on a Murphys van.

This one didn't claim to be caring for the environment, like the one I saw on the Php van. But under the 70mph bit, it said "Apologies for any inconvenience".

Um? No one, bar emergency vehicle drivers, should be going at more than 70mph. So who do they think they are inconveniencing?

More coporate bollocks.
I saw one of them the other day and thought the exact same, limited to the maximum (barring legal maximum 110%=2mph, 79mph) what a load of tosh :rolleyes:

I always though it was 10% so 77mph was acceptable is caught on camera?
We had folk in at our uni from the A67 SPECS cameras (average speed) and their system only brought drivers to prosecution for 110% + 2mph, I've also seen this on Gardai forms and other places, to generous IMO and given the generous leeway anybody caught speeding isn't just going a little too fast they are going way too fast.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
You live and learn - Cheers for that :smile:
We had folk in at our uni from the A67 SPECS cameras (average speed) and their system only brought drivers to prosecution for 110% + 2mph, I've also seen this on Gardai forms and other places, to generous IMO and given the generous leeway anybody caught speeding isn't just going a little too fast they are going way too fast.

cloggsy

Boardmanist
I always though it was 10% so 77mph was acceptable is caught on camera?

This is an old wives tail I'm afraid; you can get done doing anything over the speed limit with the accuracy of the laser speed indicators that the Police use now; even 1mph. That being said, it would have to be a really anal copper to do you for that! As we all know, they're out there!

I also know someone who's just been done going through the average speed limit cameras on the A1 roadworks - the first person I'd ever heard of being done using the average speed cameras...

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation

I don't think it's too bad, it's just the chances of getting caught. After knowing about how bad things are in North Yorkshire for years, I was exasperated yesterday by the praise on the news for North Yorkshire Police finally leaving the stone age and getting a speed camera - yesterday. It's ridiculous in some places.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
HLaB's post must refer to older cameras then?

You really have to be not paying attention to get done by an Average Speed camera.

This is an old wives tail I'm afraid; you can get done doing anything over the speed limit with the accuracy of the laser speed indicators that the Police use now; even 1mph. That being said, it would have to be a really anal copper to do you for that! As we all know, they're out there!

I also know someone who's just been done going through the average speed limit cameras on the A1 roadworks - the first person I'd ever heard of being done using the average speed cameras...

MGBLemonrider

I believe
Speedos used to have to have the accuracy requirement of +/- 10%.
It has changed to +10% (I can't be bothered to look up the date of implementation)

guide lines added the +2mph, perhaps because the increments on the dial.

So 10% would cover the inaccuracy which may be inherent in your speedo, which anecdotal would over read, One could roll along at an indicated
84mph and still be under a real 77mph which could be allowed for an under reading speedo.

Therefore people got used to driving at an indicated 85mph (cascades down through other limits)

Therefore ACPO guidelines were to verbal warn for 10% +2 mph - this would be in the area allowed for by equipment error and never secure a conviction at court if contested.

Once the non under reading speedos came out the above guideline becomes untenable under the threat of legal challenges by road safety organisations so is dropped, and opens up prosecution for simple excess of the posted limit.

However people have been conditioned to expect to getting away with exceeding the limits by 20% - Human nature pushing boundaries etc.

I may be wrong - but don't tell my children

Top Bottom