Limiting factor: keeping thighs warm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Hi

I'm trying to do longer rides but I don't seem to get much beyond 50 miles. It always seems to be the onset of cramp in my muscles in the front of my thighs (vastus medialis?) that limits me and it always seems to be around the 35 mile mark when my seat gets uncomfortable and I start to shift around to alleviate the pain.

I'm planning on replacing the seat with the one from my other bike, which should help, but I don't suffer in quite the same way in the summer so I'm pretty sure it's the cold that's doing it.

How do I keep my thighs warm?

Should I wear windproof MTB shorts over my bib longs, or should I just concentrate on keeping core and appendages warm so blood supply can keep legs warm? What does everyone else do?

I really try to pace myself through the ride (although this doesn't come naturally). Also I stay seated for every climb when I do a long ride.

Thanks

steve50

Disenchanted Member
In the colder weather i wear a couple of layers, I usually wear padded shorts with leg warmers or tights then windproof non padded cycle leggings over the top. The top half of my body i will wear a long sleeved compression garment then a jersey and if cold enough a windproof jacket. In my opinion it is best to keep the entire body warm, even if I overheat a little. It is easier to take a layer off than it is to try adding a layer once the cold has penetrated.
Getting up out of the saddle on the hills will also help fend off the sore arse as will quality padded cycle wear and the addition of chamois cream will also help with the soreness.

S-Express

Not possible to diagnose without more info on your bike fit and position, either of which could be contributing factors.

vickster

Legendary Member
Wear another layer or get thicker longs (you can get ones with wind stopper fronts too).
But, dear God, not baggies over tights! :ohmy:

Jody

Stubborn git
But, dear God, not baggies over tights! :ohmy:

I have been guilty of this in the depths of winter, but what else are you meant to do? Wear tights without water proof baggies and I would have to go the whole lycra route and end up with a wet ar*e or don't wear tights and end up with cold legs. Most of my gear is black or dark grey so don't think it stands out that much.

S-Express

Are you interested in giving us any more info with which to help you, or should this thread be moved to the cafe?

Top Bottom