Lincoln cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedRider

Pulling through
I'm not from Lincoln but one of my favourite days on a bike was spent passing through. We'd stayed at Thorpe-on-the-Hill Travelodge the night before and stopped for a big breakfast near the cathedral. Those first 30-40 miles along the the ridge out of Lincoln towards Scunthorpe on Middle Street were bliss. Is that road always so quiet?

It was the first height (and view) we'd had since London, the sun was out and what a tailwind! Maybe the quadruple espresso after breakfast helped but when the Red Arrows started playing above us - must be commonplace for Lincolnites but for us it felt like a private show - the hair was standing up on my arms and the back of my neck. Very special cycling moment.

This pic was taken much later in the day. What an amazing camera that can read peole's minds...
P1000932.JPG

Last edited:

Gixxerman

Guru
Yep the Reds are a common sight for Lincolnites. I can watch them out the window at work most days. I sometimes take the afternoon off work and nip to Conningsby to watch the Typhoons doing their stuff. One time at Coningsby I also saw Thumper the Lancaster taking off, and landing again about an hour later. If you are an aircraft fan like me, Lincolnshire is the pace to be.

OP
OP
GlenBen

GlenBen

Über Member
@Gixxerman, sounds good, see what we can sort next time. Although im sure it wont be a case of me waiting on the hills haha.

@RedRider, middlestreet is always quiet, and nearly always a tailwind. The road itself doesnt really go anywhere special and runs adjacent to the a15, guess thats why its quiet. I cycle up there a lot myself, gotta be up there in my favourites, some nice steep bits if you drop into the villages too, just very short.

Top Bottom