Lincoln Park and Cycle woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gixxerman

Guru
I work in the centre of Lincoln city. I currently use a free car park and a folding cycle to commute. It is not really practical to cycle from my home as it is really a bit too far at 18 miles and I also have limited time in the evening to get back to my evening social activities (football, snooker, pool).
Well I have recently been told that the I cannot continue to park in the car park I currently use as it is actually a private carpark for a local dental / medical centre. I didn't realise this as there were no signs, but the owner approached me and told me this. So I now have to find another place to park. There are 2 official park-and-cycle places, but they are on the wrong side of the city for me, and involve a long drive round the bypass in heavy traffic to get there, which kind of defeats the object. Street parking is an option, but I am a bit worried about my car as the areas where parking is available are a bit rough. I have tried so hard to get the local authorities, my company and sustrans to help me, but they do not seem to be able to help. I am trying to do the right thing but I am running out of options and patience. I might just have to go back to driving into the city and parking, which would be sad as I just add another car in the city and more polution. It is so frustrating. The city council talk-the-talk when it comes to sustainable travel as does my company, but when push comes to shove, you can see that they are really just talking-the-talk.

Last edited:

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
It's very rare you can park anywhere free now mate.
Good luck sorting it out.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Similar problem in Norwich. The suburban car parks where you used to be able to park all day are now limited-stay and you're not allowed to use the park-and-ride ones as park-and-cycle. I got away with it last time because I was only there a half-day and the limited-stay rule expires at 5pm.

Where are the official park-and-cycle places? They don't seem to be on the council cycle map. Lincoln seems even worse than Norwich because it doesn't have any park and ride and the city council seems to want everyone to drive into the centre, which is just bonkers and a blight on a historic city. How do such councils keep getting elected these days?

Local authorities are ABLE to help but they are probably UNWILLING so please keep kicking them. In theory, the county council is responsible for transport but the city probably gets consulted and is smaller and easier to lobby. It looks like Steve Bird, Assistant Director - Communities and Street Scene 01522 873421 Email: steve.bird@lincoln.gov.uk handles some parking matters so maybe email him and ask WTF. How far are you willing to go? Draft a letter which your company could send too - send it to anyone responsible for transport or parking and a councillor for the ward/division that your company is based in (www.WriteToThem.com will convert postcodes into city councillors). In my experience and despite their name, Sustrans don't seem interested in this sort of thing or maybe simply don't have the capacity to cover it as well as leisure routes: look for cyclenation (I don't think there is a group in Lincoln so you'd probably end up having to start it but it would be a very good thing to have) or CTC/CyclingUK "local campaigners" (not the regular riding groups, but they might be worth asking too as a just-in-case) as more likely to get involved with that sort of thing.

Anyway, back to the immediate: are you entering from the north on the A46? There's appears to be a dead-end turning on the left just before you reach the bypass which is part of National Cycle Route 1 that's open to cars (looks like a bend of the A46 bypassed by "improvements") and doesn't look to have any parking restrictions on Street View. I don't know if it's full of motorists parking already, though. It's not near much and people don't walk, so maybe not.

Inside that edge of the city, Wolsey Way looks like it has a field between it and the bypass (so probably not enough house cars to fill it), doesn't look rough (typical modern estate with quite a bit of detached stuff), isn't really a good motoring route to anywhere else and doesn't seem to have parking restrictions unless I missed some zonal restriction. That field probably won't stay undeveloped forever, though.

Another idea if you're doing this daily would be to approach evening-focused pubs along National 1 and other desirable routes and see if you could use their car park in the daytime. They might like to look busier than they are, or they might ask for payment which hopefully would be less than city parking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
Where are the official park-and-cycle places? They don't seem to be on the council cycle map.
They are at Burton Waters and Skellingthorpe community centre (see link below), both of which are on the west of the city and a long way round the bypass in heavy traffic.
https://www.hirebikelincoln.co.uk/files/news_images/park-and-bike-leaflet-no-crops.pdf

Lincoln seems even worse than Norwich because it doesn't have any park and ride and the city council seems to want everyone to drive into the centre, which is just bonkers and a blight on a historic city. How do such councils keep getting elected these days?
It is. The traffic and parking is a nightmare. We do have a works carpark (2 actually). But I cannot / will not use them because:-
a) They are right in the centre and getting through the traffic is a pain.
b) There are not enough spaces for all employees to park, and they are allocated on a first-come basis. Also, just about eveyone drives in, including those who live within easy walking / cycling distance and / or have excellent public transport. There is no priority given to anyone who cannot get in as early as the locals, for legitimate reasons (e.g travelling greater distances, dropping kids off at school) or has no adeqaute public transport options. The only exception is the afternoon shift who have reserved parking. The company says it is committed to green transport, but does nothing to address this by actively encouraging people who have the option not to drive to take alternative transport. I have contacted HR about the parking rules and also park and bike facilities, but they are not interested.

Anyway, back to the immediate: are you entering from the north on the A46? There's appears to be a dead-end turning on the left just before you reach the bypass which is part of National Cycle Route 1 that's open to cars (looks like a bend of the A46 bypassed by "improvements") and doesn't look to have any parking restrictions on Street View. I don't know if it's full of motorists parking already, though. It's not near much and people don't walk, so maybe not.
Yes I do enter north via the A46. The dead end you are referring to is Danby Hill. It is as you guessed the old A46 before the Danby Hill bypass was put in yonks ago. I too looked at this. But it is a bit secluded and I fear for my car being left there. There are some houses there, and I asked the owners if I could park on the street near them as it might be safer if parked near a house. However, they were not happy for me to do this even though it would be perfectly legal to do so. Wolsey way field is not really an option as it is some sort of agriculteral facility and it looks like it is in use daily. There is on-street parking down there, but again I expect that people will get miffed if a strange car is parked there all day.

Another idea if you're doing this daily would be to approach evening-focused pubs along National 1 and other desirable routes and see if you could use their car park in the daytime
I thought of that option too. There is a pub just near Danby Hill called the Brown Cow. However, it is a little farther out than I'd like when using a folder. I wonder if I could leave a full size bike round the back somewhere. I will ask tonight.

Where I currently park is a large car park that seems never to be full. I appealed to the guy's good will and told him that I am simply trying to do the right thing for the city, but he was unsympathetic and said that it was my problem not his. It seems that everyone is against me here. I am trying to do the right thing but no one seems to care. I may just have to give up a start driving in again. I am losing the will to keep trying.

Last edited:

NeilnrLincoln

It's not siemens you work at by any chance is it? How about parking in the wolsey way shopping ctr car park near asda? I've never spotted any restriction signs & it doesn't seem to be monitored.
Or how about asking Waitrose if you could use their car park? It's never full, if you told them that you shop there & you'd park in the furthest corner from the store I don't think they'd mind, they're quite accommodating if you speak to the right people.

Reactions: mjr

GlenBen

Über Member
How about driving to one of the villages that are near to the river? Fiskerton or cherry willingham or somewhere around there. I know in cherry willingham you can park behind the shops for free. Or just on the street (I know you said youd rather not, but it is quiet)

From there you can cycle down the river, about 4 miles if i remember right, and come out at stamp end.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
It's not siemens you work at by any chance is it? How about parking in the wolsey way shopping ctr car park near asda? I've never spotted any restriction signs & it doesn't seem to be monitored.
Or how about asking Waitrose if you could use their car park? It's never full, if you told them that you shop there & you'd park in the furthest corner from the store I don't think they'd mind, they're quite accommodating if you speak to the right people.
Yes I do work for Siemens. I checked out Wolsey way shoppers car park. It says that parking is limited to 2 hours.
I thought about Waitrose too. They are soon to be opening a park and ride, so I have contacted them to see if they would also entertain a park and bike. I just hope that if they do, they do not expect me to pay the same price (£2.50 per day) as the park and ride service as I would not be using the bus. Ideally it should be free, but I think a £1 per day charge would be more than reasonable.

No trains from Market Rasen to Lincoln between 0739 and 0955, or back between 1730 and 2000, so only if you work flexibly or like to arrive early and hang around after a typical 9 to half 5. Not a good commuter service. :sad:
You took the words right out of my mouth. I go to the gym in the evenings and play football and snooker in Lincoln once a week in the evenings. Plus on the football night, which finishes at 18:30, I have to be back home for 19:30 latest as I play pool for a team in Market Rasen. Snooker night somtimes does not get finished until gone 11pm. The only trains in the evening are 17:23 and 20:20, after that, you are walking home / getting a taxi. So I would have to wait around to 8:30pm each night, be late for my pool match and walk 18 miles home or pay £30 for a taxi after snooker. So trains are not really an option. Plus they are hideously expensive compared to my diesel car, and a lot less reliable.

I have contacted the local council for the 4th time now about this and a last they have agreed to try and help me.

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
:wahhey: and even if it doesn't work for you, you may have made it easier for the next person who contacts them.
Well I wish whoever it may be luck as it would be hard for the powers that be to be less interested. They even once just gave me a list of carparks, all of which were in the city centre. Talk about completely missing the point. You would think that I am asking them to perform the impossible. The local council seem to want people to drive in and park. Maybe they need the funds from the car parks. Who knows.

L Q

Über Member
Drive to Bardney or Reepham and cycle in from there down the water trail.

No traffic that way in the morning.

Or the alternative is leave the car at Waitrose and head down Nettleham Road, I don't think Waitrose has any time restrictions in place.

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
Drive to Bardney or Reepham and cycle in from there down the water trail.
No traffic that way in the morning.
Or the alternative is leave the car at Waitrose and head down Nettleham Road, I don't think Waitrose has any time restrictions in place.
I would love to commute in on the water railway as it is a great ride on segregated cyclepath and is lovely scenery. Trouble is, Bardney is a bit too far for a folder really, and both Bardney and Reepham are difficult to get to from the A46 which is my preferred commute route. Things will be different when / if the eastern bypass is completed as it will be easier to get to that side of the city. They may even provide some parking near the bypass for park and bike, miracles do happen sometimes.
I am currently making equiries with Waitrose as to using their car park. Experienece with asking about other possible parking places leads me to expect that the answer will be no. They may be more open to it once the park and ride becomes operational.

GlenBen

Über Member
Turn off the a46, down the a158 left down wragby road, right to fiskerton. Theres the village hall there you can park in and cut over a bridge onto the water railway route.

Or if you have another bike, buy a roofrack and pop that on top if you fancy the longer route from bardney occasionally.

GlenBen

Über Member
On another note, im hoping they do add some new bike facilities with the bypass. Theyre doing a bit of work down the south end of the city, with the hykeham station and the 2 park and rides, but so little up the top.

Top Bottom