Lincoln Park and Cycle woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
image.jpeg

It's very rare you can park anywhere free now mate.
Good luck sorting it out.
You can , but a bit of a chance !

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
On another note, im hoping they do add some new bike facilities with the bypass. Theyre doing a bit of work down the south end of the city, with the hykeham station and the 2 park and rides, but so little up the top.
Hoping won't make it happen. It took a LOT of pushing to get them even not to completely cut off one of the existing routes out. Please, you seem like a tenacious cyclist, so get in touch with CTC Lincs and see what the current situation is and consider helping once your immediate problem is resolved. http://www.cyclinguk.org/news/lincoln-bypass-rejected-cycling-safety-grounds

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I work in the centre of Lincoln city. I currently use a free car park and a folding cycle to commute. It is not really practical to cycle from my home as it is really a bit too far at 18 miles and I also have limited time in the evening to get back to my evening social activities (football, snooker, pool).
Well I have recently been told that the I cannot continue to park in the car park I currently use as it is actually a private carpark for a local dental / medical centre. I didn't realise this as there were no signs, but the owner approached me and told me this. So I now have to find another place to park. There are 2 official park-and-cycle places, but they are on the wrong side of the city for me, and involve a long drive round the bypass in heavy traffic to get there, which kind of defeats the object. Street parking is an option, but I am a bit worried about my car as the areas where parking is available are a bit rough. I have tried so hard to get the local authorities, my company and sustrans to help me, but they do not seem to be able to help. I am trying to do the right thing but I am running out of options and patience. I might just have to go back to driving into the city and parking, which would be sad as I just add another car in the city and more polution. It is so frustrating. The city council talk-the-talk when it comes to sustainable travel as does my company, but when push comes to shove, you can see that they are really just talking-the-talk.
With a name like yours, I assume you ride a motorcycle?

is that not an option?

j

GlenBen

Über Member
Hoping won't make it happen. It took a LOT of pushing to get them even not to completely cut off one of the existing routes out. Please, you seem like a tenacious cyclist, so get in touch with CTC Lincs and see what the current situation is and consider helping once your immediate problem is resolved. http://www.cyclinguk.org/news/lincoln-bypass-rejected-cycling-safety-grounds

I hadn't heard of that website, or infact know the ctc had much say in it. Certainly something to consider, thanks.

e-rider

crappy member
I work in the centre of Lincoln city. I currently use a free car park and a folding cycle to commute. It is not really practical to cycle from my home as it is really a bit too far at 18 miles and I also have limited time in the evening to get back to my evening social activities (football, snooker, pool).
Well I have recently been told that the I cannot continue to park in the car park I currently use as it is actually a private carpark for a local dental / medical centre. I didn't realise this as there were no signs, but the owner approached me and told me this. So I now have to find another place to park. There are 2 official park-and-cycle places, but they are on the wrong side of the city for me, and involve a long drive round the bypass in heavy traffic to get there, which kind of defeats the object. Street parking is an option, but I am a bit worried about my car as the areas where parking is available are a bit rough. I have tried so hard to get the local authorities, my company and sustrans to help me, but they do not seem to be able to help. I am trying to do the right thing but I am running out of options and patience. I might just have to go back to driving into the city and parking, which would be sad as I just add another car in the city and more polution. It is so frustrating. The city council talk-the-talk when it comes to sustainable travel as does my company, but when push comes to shove, you can see that they are really just talking-the-talk.
there is no desire by councils/government to actually increase cycling and reduce car use and pollution - mainly just useless box ticking exercises. The Green party are the only ones serious about better cycling in this country and they have limited/no influence so don't hold your breath for better cycle options any time soon!

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
Well, I have received a reply from Lincoln Business Improvement Group (BIG) who are responsible for the soon to be opened park and ride at Waitrose in the north of the city. They have told me that they are in the final stages of negotiation with Waitrose and they expect that they will be able to offer park and cycle parking free of charge. So after much more effort than it should have taken, it seems, at last, that there is an end in sight for my tale of woe. The question is why did it take so much effort? This solution also gives me the option to take the bus on days where the weather is particularly inclement.

Last edited:

L Q

Über Member
Well, I have received a reply from Lincoln Business Improvement Group (BIG) who are responsible for the soon to be opened park and ride at Waitrose in the north of the city. They have told me that they are in the final stages of negotiation with Waitrose and they expect that they will be able to offer park and cycle parking free of charge. So after much more effort than it should have taken, it seems, at last, that there is an end in sight for my tale of woe. The question is why did it take so much effort? This solution also gives me the option to take the bus on days where the weather is particularly inclement.
Good news, What time do you normally get to Waitrose as the traffic from the Brown cow somedays is just dreadful.

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
Well some good news at last. I wasn't sure how long the BIG negotiations would take. So I emailed Waitrose, which went to the general customer support as there was no option to contact the Lincoln store directly. They gave me the usual corperate response of "We don't usually offer this service, please talk to the management of the local store". So I took the chance of calling into the store. I meet the deputy manager and I explained my position and what BIG was doing and that they had suggested that free park and cycle parking should be available when the park and ride starts. He said that no such agreement has been made, and the park and ride is in the very early stages of discussion after Waitrose offered some of their parking as they had so much spare. He said that if I had just parked and said nothing then chances are no one would even notice. I said that it was only fair to ask before I did it. After a few minutes of discussion, he has given me permission to use the car park for free. I actually buy my fuel there already and a snack on a Thursday night after football, so I am paying towards the parking to some degree. So we shook on it and he took my details. So there is someone who is actually prepared to go the extra mile and help me out. I was beginning to feel the whole world was against me.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Waitrose are a sort-of worker co-op so I'd hope that they'd behave reasonably and ethically and help the local community by taking one more car off the city streets, but you can never be sure how a particular store manager will interpret "ethically". Anyway: well done!

Top Bottom