Linear Bar End Shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I have had a few ideas in mind to make life simpler with the Linear, including resuscitating the front triple chainwheel in a separate thread. I have been collecting bits over the months. Yesterday I fitted bar end changers after putting it off for a long time, mostly due to anticipated problems with the Sachs 7 X 3 gear hub. A Suntour Bar Con on the RH vertical bar end for the 7 speed derailleur, non indexed, which once tensioned worked well. Encouraged by this I fitted a Sturmey Archer bar end shifter to the LH vertical bar end. This was the one I had qualms about but after fitting a Sturmey Archer trigger shifter as recommended by Sheldon Brown as being compatible with the Sachs 3 speed hub, I didn't see why it shouldn't work too. So far, with the bike on the stand, it has worked cleanly and accurately with no further adjustment. Due to the orientation of the Sturmey Archer lever, both levers are forward for high gear and vertical for low.

The rationale for changing to bar end shifters has been (a) my arms are slightly too short for my fingers to fall naturally on the shifters under the seat. (b) the bar end shifters are on the ends of the vertical bar ends and I can actually see them to visualise what gear I am in. The version of the Linear currently in production gives the option for this set up, so I am giving it a try. A proper road test should sort out any bugs.

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
After a test ride I can report that the bar end shifters have worked well without any further adjustment, and the gears change smoothly and easily. The only adjustment needed has been to the tubular bar ends which have needed rotating outwards a fraction. This stops the change levers from brushing my legs slightly while pedalling in the high gear as they initially were angled slightly inwards. More miles and increased familiarity needed now to make the operation instinctive.

OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
Update.
I have on one occasion recently over selected the Sachs hub gear into first which caused the ratchet clip on the cable connector to slacken and upset gear selection. This connector seems to work as a safety device to prevent overloading of the pull rod and chain. I have since re adjusted the cable. I was aware of this potential problem due to the Sturmey bar end selector having some movement at the end of its travel, but with the very positive detents on the lever and being careful I thought I could prevent problems. I don’t want this to happen again. I have made a lever stop from a Cateye light mounting. This is the type that tightens a threaded strip in place by turning a knob. It is designed to fit to a tubular fitting such as a seat post, in this case my bar end. Once I had verified that it did the job I removed the original fitting strip and replaced it with several cable ties. It uses just the base of the fitting, a curved plastic blob that just fits into the curvature of the mounting and projects enough to prevent the lever from accidentally moving beyond the the vertical. It ain’t pretty but it seems to do the job. A few test runs will see if it needs upgrading. Some cloth tape might prettify it once its residence is permanent.

Last edited:
OP
OP
a.twiddler

a.twiddler

Veteran
8 or 9 months ago I'd never seen a Linear and didn't know a lot about recumbents at all. It's amazing how quickly you become your own expert. The appealing thing about the Linear is that it's designed to be very adjustable and adaptable so you can change it to suit yourself. Mine even folds so you can get it into a car (though I wouldn't want to do it every day) though it came in a rigid version as well. Even folded, it's still a great long thing to find space for.
As a cyclist, I've got used to occasional negative vibes from other road users but since I've been using the Linear all the feedback has been positive. Whether it's because it looks like I made it myself from bits I found in the shed or whether it's because it looks so functionaI don't know but it just makes people smile. Despite its peculiar appearance it is also surprisingly comfortable. I had some qualms before buying it but it has worked out well so far. Maybe, once we can travel further afield again I will be able to explore its (my) limits

They turn up on ebay from time to time and I always follow them out of curiosity as the prices and condition vary a lot and I suppose I'm just nosy.

Top Bottom