Lingering virus?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

turborider

Hi
I seem to be unable to shift a virus - full of catarrah and a cough since February - doctor keeps telling me it will clear up on it's own "in a few weeks". I'm trying to keep up with easy cycling but getting fed up!!

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Mark_Robson

I had a virus in the winter of 08/09 and it dragged on for months. I can't offer any advice other than eat healthily, try not to overdo it and let nature take it's course.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
With a winter like we've had, these things do linger. I copped one in December and still have a trace of a cough.

andyhunter

might not go down well but if you got a virus do not go on the bike until you have been tested and made sure its 100% rid of you before you ressume light training then build up each time on the bike. i rode a season with rollercoaster results which baffled people surrounding me which turned out when i went to the doctors and hospital i had a nasty virus which progressed into ill health and kept me off the bike near two seasons as no cure and heals its self which when i tried to go back after a year out only made it worse and immune system was in melt down so i picked up everything going. So i then had to have plenty of rest for far longer but all right and dandy now but rest is well important in the long term.

I've had a sore throat for about two weeks...Had some sort of chest infection before hand and thought the two were linked...Chest infection gone but still continual sore throat.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You probably have a lingering bacterial infection, caught while your defences were low during the viral infection. However doctors are reluctant to admit this and even more reluctant to prescribe antibiotics.

I stock up on Amoxy while I'm in countries where it can be bought OTC.

Globalti said:
You probably have a lingering bacterial infection, caught while your defences were low during the viral infection. However doctors are reluctant to admit this and even more reluctant to prescribe antibiotics.

Which countries are they?

postman

Legendary Member
Now same here .Last month, i don't do colds .So after many bad nights coughing and losing sleep .Off to the Docs .

Nose drops and anti histamine tablets .Both useless.So left it .But got fed up of coughing ,so back again .Different Doc. Can't give you anything was the reply .

So i cured myself .Robitussin cough mixture then ride after ride .And coughing my guts up .Left it all in hedge rows and grass verges .It worked for me but i would not say everybody should try it .

Globalti said:

I'll try again. Which countries can you buy it OTC?

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I started with a virus mid Nov last year which seemed to last for about 3 months, just as it seemed to be going, it flared up again. I only managed 1 ride in about 3 months xx( Oncen it cleared fully & I got back on the bike my fitness seemed to return fairly quickly which was the only consolation :wacko:
I must admit tho it started to get me down a bit being off the bikes for so long

Top Bottom