Linux

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milo

Guru
Having recently just given Ubuntu a try I must say i have been won over by using Linux. I'm still stuck with having to duel boot in windows for gaming but to be honest given the choice I would fully convert as it just feels so much more faster and pleasant to use. Admittedly it does have issues in relation to drivers etc but i still find it more pleasant and now use by default for web browsing and the like. So any others users out there and what distros are you using?

Octet

Veteran
Hello, dual booting on the laptop with Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 and my server is running Ubuntu Server 12.04.
I'm happy with Linux, it's a good development environment however Windows is still my main OS.

OP
OP
M

Milo

Guru
I duel boot on my main pc with with windows 7 but on my laptop which now mostly just get used for internet and word processing Idecided to reformat and just use ubuntu. However I am having problems with the way it manages power and it does seem to run hotter than it did under windows hopefully this is something that will improve in future updates. In addition to this ati drivers under Linux are frankly awful in contrast to Nvidia and it required a fair bit of fiddling to get hd video to playback properly.

D

Deleted member 1258

Ubuntu 10.04, my first use of Ubuntu was 8.04, within a few months of that I had moved away from Windows.

ushills

Veteran
Been using ubuntu since 6.04, xubuntu now 12.04 on all 3 PC's.

It's improved a lot and now works out of the box. 12.04 was a big leap with xubuntu, I don't use ubuntu anymore as I can't stand Unity.

D

Deleted member 1258

Been using ubuntu since 6.04, xubuntu now 12.04 on all 3 PC's.

It's improved a lot and now works out of the box. 12.04 was a big leap with xubuntu, I don't use ubuntu anymore as I can't stand Unity.

Yes I had a look at unity, I wasn't overly impressed, I do like gnome though.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Redhat->Ubuntu->Mint->Debian. No Windows at home since 2007, and only at work on the corporate system :angel:

lordloveaduck

Mint/ KDE / Unbutu/ Windows/ Opensuse/ Snow Lepord.
Only becuase i was really, really bored that week....and pretty tipsy.
Not all the drivers work with the snow lepord (touchpad and 5.1 suround sound) I just
wanted to see if i could, i can't be botherd removing it.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Reluctantly I loaded Mint about three years back, best thing i ever did for my computers, still need a PC for Mrs B's photography work though :sad:

Top Bottom