listening to music whilst cycling???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mog35

One of the routes I like to do frequently is along the coast and doesn't involve much interaction with cars as it's mostly along promenades etc. I do sometimes listen to music on this route, especially when cycling along the sea wall. When on the roads I just have the left earphone in so I can hear any traffic coming up behind me. I quite like having music on if I'm going into a headwind - it drowns out the wind noise and helps me press on.

Earlier in the year I was listening to music a lot, which helped deal with the wind and the cold.

Now the weather's better I haven't done it for a while - I'm going for longer rides, most of which take me through winding country lanes, so I prefer to hear what's coming up behind me, or what's about to fly round the next blind bend towards me.

Jezston

Über Member
Mog - question - do you really notice a difference being able to hear cars coming up behind you with one ear out?

May I ask what headphones/earbuds you use?

quassleberry

I always just have the left earpiece in when cycling (If I remember to wear the ipod) and it does make a difference to hearing the traffic, cutting the noise of the wind and generally making you pedal faster when a favourite is picked out.

When running both earpieces are a must unless you've taken a dog, then forget it. Equally it makes you run faster and I'm more focussed and not convincing myself I can't run any further.

Downward

Guru
I've been pulled by the police on the bike and wasn't wearing my headphones. I am sure if I had of been I would have got more than a ticking off so for that reason I wouldn't do it.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Nice, not had this heated debate for a while and it seems to be bubbling away nicely :thumbsup:.

I don't and would never contemplate doing so, and in my opinion anyone who does is an idiot :becool:

mog35

Mog - question - do you really notice a difference being able to hear cars coming up behind you with one ear out?

May I ask what headphones/earbuds you use?

I've got a pair of cheap £10 Panasonic earbud things - nothing fancy

If I only have the left earphone in, I can still hear what's going on around me so feel secure doing it

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've been pulled by the police on the bike and wasn't wearing my headphones. I am sure if I had of been I would have got more than a ticking off so for that reason I wouldn't do it.

Or, wear them, and don't do the thing they pulled you for. Earphones on a bike aren't illegal.

I wear them on long country rides, but don't feel the need for music on short urban trips, which are just utility.

Bicycle

We'll all end up doing what we end up doing.

I see plenty of people riding with music on - and most seem to be aware of what's going on. I don't do it, but I can't get very excited about it.

We've all seen gazillions of riders who seem blithely unaware - and would be so with or without headphones.

On winter commutes I wear one of those black, stretchy headbands under my helmet and over my ears. Its progress through the air produces the same sound as a car approaching me from behind.

For that reason it may seem dangerous to some riders, but on balance I'd rather have the sound of muffled tyre noise than ears I can snap off when I arrive.

I think the real question is: What music would get you to work faster?

The Chain?

A Hayden trumpet Concerto?

Some Wagner?

The Clash?

A little Nick Cave of course, but then that goes without saying....

Would it be the same music you play when driving?

I suspect I'd need separate DRIVING and a CYCLING selections on my MP3.....

frank9755

Cyclist
A lot of people who wear helmets say that they cause wind noise which makes it harder for them to hear traffic coming. Maybe listening to music would actually be a good alternative to a helmet...?
troll.gif

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
A lot of people who wear helmets say that they cause wind noise which makes it harder for them to hear traffic coming. Maybe listening to music would actually be a good alternative to a helmet...?
troll.gif

Nice, like your style Frank. Just need to get a link to jumping red lights and I think we will have the full monty :becool:

pepecat

No to headphones for me too....... Just as when I'm out walking the music blocks traffic noise, I imagine it also would when cycling, and I'd rather be able to hear what's going on - ambulance sirens and the like.

I think the comparison to listening to music in a car is slightly wrong - you don't have earphones in in a car, the music is part of the general ambience and you can still pick out other sounds as well as the music, whereas earphones block out all other noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom