listening to music whilst cycling???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Two examples in the last 4 days:

1: Several walkers on a canal path going in the same direction as me (on a bicycle). I shouted for them to move. One doesn't - the one with the headphones. I had to get within 3 feet of him to hear me.

2. cyclist on a mountain bike and a child seat on the back. He was shifting. I caught up to him and as I pass said something along the lines of "you're giving it some with that on". I got a blank look back. He had earphones in. He took them out. I repeated the words and he understood.

Fair points, but I don't think they refute mine.

In those cases I think it was much more likely they were too self absorbed, and the music was clearly contributing (possibly heavily) to this, rather than the music was actually blocking out the sounds. This is obviously something to be wary of when listening to music when riding - that you don't let it distract you rather than it preventing you from hearing. But I don't think music is the sole contributor to such behaviour. Been plenty of times when I've been riding the stretch of shared use cycle lane that makes up part of my commute where I've said "excuse me", rung bell and then even shouted at someone walking in front of me blocking the path - and they still haven't noticed me until I've crept past them - and they've not had headphones on.

Jezston

Über Member
Agreed +1 :whistle:

You see I meant to note down, and take a time and dated screenshot of it, when I wrote the post you replied to saying "if 4F replies to my post taking my points out of context for comedic response then he is a big poo bum face", which I could then post if he does, but sadly I thought better of it.

But regardless, I thank you 4F for the immensely constructive contributions you have made to this debate.

david1701

[QUOTE 1377590"]
Headphones take something from your ability to hear -that's indisputable. The question is whether the rider considers the increased risk to be acceptable.

That's all there is to it.
[/quote]

+1

E11a

Hey peeps. All I said is that I preferred not to use headphones. Whether you choose to use them is up to you.

Frank - I agree about preferring to hear quiet country roads, but I've found that cars and motorbikes sometimes assume that they'll be empty and drive a little bit too fast.

Jezston

Über Member
[QUOTE 1377593"]
Using headphones equates to wearing shades? Don't be daft. One makes seeing easier in the right circumstances, the other makes hearing harder in all circumstances.
[/quote]

Seriously? I do my best to put my points across well. Let me clarify.

Headphones reduce wind noise. They make hearing easier in many circumstances. Sunglasses reduce visibility in some circumstances, and visibility is far more important and audibility.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
You see I meant to note down, and take a time and dated screenshot of it, when I wrote the post you replied to saying "if 4F replies to my post taking my points out of context for comedic response then he is a big poo bum face", which I could then post if he does, but sadly I thought better of it.

But regardless, I thank you 4F for the immensely constructive contributions you have made to this debate.

Actually you've got 4F nailed with that one, but perhaps not for the reasons you think :biggrin:

I'm with Rusky, I would have considered cycling with earphones dangerous until I tried it, still do most of my riding without but I like the option.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Actually you've got 4F nailed with that one, but perhaps not for the reasons you think :biggrin:

I'm with Rusky, I would have considered cycling with earphones dangerous until I tried it, still do most of my riding without but I like the option.

Chortle, kettle for Mr Pot ? Nice try Al

oldroadman

Veteran
Personally I would never use them. When I started we didn't have the option anyway. Later on in my racing career, the coaches them from the training group. So no. Please.

Here's a little example, piloting a moto-commissaire in a road race a few weeks ago, and there are two guys pottering along side by side in a narrow lane. Lead cars and NEG have all passed and warned them. We get alongside, they are shocked and surprised, and the commissaire says would you mind single file, race peloton of 80 about 30 seconds behind you. Blank look. From inside MY helmet, with one speaker on race rac=dio, I could HEAR the music in their earpieces. Totally unaware of anything. Only when they take out a plug can we communicate. Having managed that, and explained (quickly), the commissaire suggests they leave the buds out at least until the race has passed, so that they are aware. He's told to "go forth and multiply" by one of the (40 years+) blokes. Guess what, they wobble and almost cause a crash in the race, and one of them ends up on the verge, bottom first.... Says it all, really.

NEVER!!

VamP

Banned
Hmm.

I am ambivalent about this one. I ride without, but am now tempted to try with to be able to gauge empirically.

Now look what you've done.

Jezston

Über Member
[QUOTE 1377598"]
Spurious argument. Headphones reduce wind noise by limiting all sound getting into the ear, [/quote]

Incorrect! Headphones reduce wind noise by diverting or absorbing the wind itself from reaching the ear canal the impact of which creates the bufububufufugughubfufuf you hear in the wind, thus improving what you can hear in the same way a windshield does on a microphone.

I think these two videos I found on YouTube explain it fairly clearly:
With windshield:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj3jKiCg42k

Without windshield:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBsdVNyHjmI

Jezston

Über Member
Personally I would never use them. When I started we didn't have the option anyway. Later on in my racing career, the coaches them from the training group. So no. Please.

Here's a little example, piloting a moto-commissaire in a road race a few weeks ago, and there are two guys pottering along side by side in a narrow lane. Lead cars and NEG have all passed and warned them. We get alongside, they are shocked and surprised, and the commissaire says would you mind single file, race peloton of 80 about 30 seconds behind you. Blank look. From inside MY helmet, with one speaker on race rac=dio, I could HEAR the music in their earpieces. Totally unaware of anything. Only when they take out a plug can we communicate. Having managed that, and explained (quickly), the commissaire suggests they leave the buds out at least until the race has passed, so that they are aware. He's told to "go forth and multiply" by one of the (40 years+) blokes. Guess what, they wobble and almost cause a crash in the race, and one of them ends up on the verge, bottom first.... Says it all, really.

I refer you to the points I made to 400bhp earlier - I'd argue this result is more down to the guys clearly being a couple of self-important douchebags than just listening to music.

Leaway2

Lycrist
I used to wear them, but have stopped. I feel more confident without them. The problem is that I sing the last tune I heard on the radio whilst getting ready to leave. I am bloody sick of it by the time I get to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom