Lithium Battery Replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

avsd

Guru
This guy has been recommended on other threads on this site - Torchy Boy

I have used them and been pleased with the product.

si_c

Guru
There are a couple of things to note with 18650s, there are four main variants, Protected & Not Protected and Button & Flat top - you need to match the one you have.

I use Fogstar for batteries and go for a reputable manufacturer such as Samsung or LG (a good retailer will always tell you this). The dimensions of the batteries are broadly the same, but the higher capacity batteries (3000mAh or above) do tend to be slightly fatter than the lower capacity ones, so keep that in mind when purchasing if there is limited space in the lamp.

There are additional characteristics of the batteries around discharge at different loads which can mean that some batteries of the same capacity will get longer life but generally speaking if you get a quality battery then they are interchangeable. The biggest thing to watch out for is buying on ebay or amazon you may well end up with "reconditioned" batteries which are anything but.

Stick with a reputable retailer and you'll be fine.

Ajax Bay

Guru
there is more to batteries than just mAh.
Yes: voltage, Colin. I assume the OP's light's battery is integrated, so the capacity is not optional: at a guess there'll be two 18650 Li-ion cells: they are all 3.6/3.7v and (sweeping statement) the same capacity + or - not much.

si_c

Guru
Yes: voltage, Colin. I assume the OP's light's battery is integrated, so the capacity is not optional: at a guess there'll be two 18650 Li-ion cells: they are all 3.6/3.7v and (sweeping statement) the same capacity + or - not much.
Edit: misread post - it looks like it's a single cell lamp.

QUite a few years ago my wife was just starting to switch from cigs to vapes
She had one of those vape sticks that look like a sort of plastic cigarette and you unscrew the end and screw in a charger

anyway it turned out that she had 2 types of connector for the charger - for different ecigs - and she accidentally plugged it into the wrong plug

a while later she walked into the living room to see if it was charged and found it in bits and burn marks over the carpet in a line spreading out from the end of the ecig

The 2 chargers looked the same and seemed to be the same
but it looks like they were different in some way

since then wqe have always been VERY careful to only charge things with proper OEM chargers - no cheap phone chargers from the market - and especially no cheap laptop or ebike chargers!!!
One small ecig was bad enough - I hate to think how my ebike batteries would go up!

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Any progress on your search paul?
Apologies I saw this and promptly forgot. I emailed the Lezyne UK distributor but didn't receive a reply.** Comments in here helped with avoiding pitfalls I was unaware of and steered me towards looking for a trusted brand, Panasonic, Sony etc. but I haven't found a battery from these companies advertised as "protected" - a word which seem quite important to me. RS Pro appear to have a good reputation and it's very likely I will order the RS Pro - Lithium Ion Battery The p&p seems a bit steep but I always argue one has to pay for quality and service. I'll continue the search for another day or two first.

** I'm disappointed in the distributor. I have several Lezyne products and view them as expensive but high quality and value for money - my light and battery are 10 years old! I feel the distributor could enhance their reputation by replying to such queries - it doesn't take much effort and is priceless in terms of publicity. Contrast this with Retrap who I emailed the same day with a query on saddlebags and a planned purchase. In my message I mentioned I already own their 14 litre bag. The reply the following day suggested I don't need to buy another bag just use the 14L one in a particular way and you'll save money. I now have a warm and friendly view of Restrap and will tell people about this. Great publicity and endorsement.

Apologies I saw this and promptly forgot. I emailed the Lezyne UK distributor but didn't receive a reply.** Comments in here helped with avoiding pitfalls I was unaware of and steered me towards looking for a trusted brand, Panasonic, Sony etc. but I haven't found a battery from these companies advertised as "protected" - a word which seem quite important to me. RS Pro appear to have a good reputation and it's very likely I will order the RS Pro - Lithium Ion Battery The p&p seems a bit steep but I always argue one has to pay for quality and service. I'll continue the search for another day or two first.

** I'm disappointed in the distributor. I have several Lezyne products and view them as expensive but high quality and value for money - my light and battery are 10 years old! I feel the distributor could enhance their reputation by replying to such queries - it doesn't take much effort and is priceless in terms of publicity. Contrast this with Retrap who I emailed the same day with a query on saddlebags and a planned purchase. In my message I mentioned I already own their 14 litre bag. The reply the following day suggested I don't need to buy another bag just use the 14L one in a particular way and you'll save money. I now have a warm and friendly view of Restrap and will tell people about this. Great publicity and endorsement.
Agree totally with you about Lezyne - have had a similar experience with Spesh with regard to a spare for an expensive (plus £60 years ago) pump - no response to an email after a London Spesh store pretty much laughed in my face at the idea of being able to get a small piece of rubber for a three year old pump. Won't touch anything Spesh now. Pretty clear to me that Lezyne would just like you to dump your existing light and buy another. Good luck with the battery search (am delaying my move from AAs until confident of easily accessible spare battery units) - if your light meets your needs now it surely will going forward - nights not getting darker.
Look forward to hearing more.

edit - yes "protected"is important.

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Agree totally with you about Lezyne - have had a similar experience with Spesh with regard to a spare for an expensive (plus £60 years ago) pump - no response to an email after a London Spesh store pretty much laughed in my face at the idea of being able to get a small piece of rubber for a three year old pump. Won't touch anything Spesh now. Pretty clear to me that Lezyne would just like you to dump your existing light and buy another. Good luck with the battery search (am delaying my move from AAs until confident of easily accessible spare battery units) - if your light meets your needs now it surely will going forward - nights not getting darker.
Look forward to hearing more.

edit - yes "protected"is important.
I can see why you say that but I won't jump to the conclusion yet, I just feel the UK distributor should/could do a better job for them. Lezyne probably aren't even aware of it, like 9/10 people I won't complain! My commuting days are long gone and I rarely use the light for anything other than winter daylight running. The weather is improving, days getting longer and the replacement gets to be a lower priority by the day. Just something to keep in mind when I do a few minutes idle browsing.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I haven't found a battery from these companies advertised as "protected" - a word which seem quite important to me.
Most consumer batteries sold for putting in torches etc are protected.

The protection IC adds 3 -4 mm to the 65 mm length of the actual cell, so if the seller quotes dimensions you can fairly safely assume that anything over 68 mm is protected and anything under 67 mm isn't. 67-68 mm is a grey area.

I've changed to using 18650s that have a built in charger, so they charge from the same charger as my phone, via a USB lead.
https://www.torchdirect.co.uk/batte...geable-2600-mah-li-ion-protected-battery.html
https://www.torchdirect.co.uk/batte...geable-3500-mah-li-ion-protected-battery.html
https://www.torchdirect.co.uk/nitec...geable-3500-mah-li-ion-protected-battery.html

Top Bottom