Little Chef

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Steak from Freezer -Straight to griddle to defrost of cook in one go?

I've done that with bacon, but never steak. I bet you didn't get asked how you wanted it done. :wacko: ^_^

They took them out the previous night, based on the previous week's daily sales, she says. And yes they did, as best they could on their griddles.

Hell, I was once asked for a rare McDonald's burger (yep, I've worked in foodservice too, and you get asked for all sorts :smile: )

Alex321

Veteran
They took them out the previous night, based on the previous week's daily sales, she says. And yes they did, as best they could on their griddles.

Hell, I was once asked for a rare McDonald's burger (yep, I've worked in foodservice too, and you get asked for all sorts :smile: )

Hmm. Methinks whoever asked that doesn't understand meat, and why it is OK to eat steak rare.

Once it is minced, NO. It must be thoroughly cooked.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Hmm. Methinks whoever asked that doesn't understand meat, and why it is OK to eat steak rare.

Once it is minced, NO. It must be thoroughly cooked.

Methinks they claimed to be chefs at the time, actually.

This was at a time prior to the McD's cooking time for 1/4 pounders being extended (poisoning event somewhere oop North, I recall), and the product spec already left them pink in the middle such that you had to drain the pink juices prior to putting them on the heels of the buns.

It is, of course, perfectly safe to eat raw minced steak that has been trimmed or seared, but this wasn't it.

gbb

Legendary Member
No, that's not correct. Post 82 refers.

I didn't mean literally (tbf, I do see it's not clear)...obviously eggs, tomatoes, beans etc weren't frozen, but fish, steak, sausages, almost all ( if not all) the main constituents of a meal came from the freezer.
It'd be interesting to see a full menu of the day, fish, fish fingers, steak, sausage, bacon...,burger perhaps, but I can't remember what else was offered in 1975/6

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You always asked how the customer wanted it done.
I'm sure they were happy if it was defrosted and cooked properly.
Unfortunately the LCs were designed to be operated by the great unwashed who had very little or no culinary skills, like the guy who called himself a chef that I worked with. It was down to the lowest common denominator so was very difficult to screw things up.

simongt

Guru
Little Chefs died the death mainly because Rocco Forte wasn't particularly interested in investing in the 'run of the mill' establishments founded by his dad. Rocco wanted to aim for the luxury end of the hospitality market so he didn't put any money into improving Little Chefs etc..
Sad really. :sad:

They were based on employing fairly unskilled cooks and giving them exact instructions.
I remember an article where a family called into one and the grandmother wanted a fish - but with soft batter because of "her teeth"

When it arrived it was crispy
they sent it back but the next one was also crispy

The "chef" came over eventually to explain and said that they were not allowed to go outside the instructions - which said the fish was to be put directly into the hot fat at an exact temperature and then taken out as soon as it floated to the surface
That was it - no latitude or independent thinking allowed

Also - I did hear the bit said above about it being owned by Forte - and at that timne several businesses owned by them were rubbish as they wanted to spend as little as possible an do as little as possible
then wondered why the competition walked all over them
WHat is now the Centre Parks in the Lake District (actually near it not in it!) was an example - very like a cheap version of Centre Parcs but with cheaper everything and unhappy badly trained staff

Alex321

Veteran
Methinks they claimed to be chefs at the time, actually.

This was at a time prior to the McD's cooking time for 1/4 pounders being extended (poisoning event somewhere oop North, I recall), and the product spec already left them pink in the middle such that you had to drain the pink juices prior to putting them on the heels of the buns.

It is, of course, perfectly safe to eat raw minced steak that has been trimmed or seared, but this wasn't it.

Only if it was minced in a completely sterile environment, and with what was the outside not mixed with the inside.

gbb

Legendary Member
I'm sure they were happy if it was defrosted and cooked properly.
Unfortunately the LCs were designed to be operated by the great unwashed who had very little or no culinary skills, like the guy who called himself a chef that I worked with. It was down to the lowest common denominator so was very difficult to screw things up.

A rather unfortunate description, I never quite saw myself as described :smile:
Not offended, tbf, I was 16, straight out of school and within weeks was cooking , the lot. Its not rocket science, just a little diligence, care and training. Rocket science or culinary excellence it wasn't..,just like McDs et al.)

Alex321

Veteran

I notice in the third paragraph, it says "Eating Iberian prey tartar is relatively safe". Relatively to what?

And later "On the other hand, even if these quality controls are followed, it is essential to freeze the meat at least two days before consumption. This will avoid problems of parasites and bacteria in essence."

Not exactly confidence inspiring :smile:

Top Bottom