Little flag or not?

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by XmisterIS, 7 Apr 2010.

1. XmisterIS

XmisterIS Purveyor of fine nonsense

I was driving along the other day and I came across a group of three windswept-looking and sinewy old roadies in single file going at a fair lick in the cycle lane. The lead rider had a little fluorescent flag on the end of a pole a couple or three feet long sticking out into the traffic lane as an indicator of the "three feet to pass" rule.

I always hang back and give cyclists a wide berth anyway when I'm in my car (I'll overtake on the other side of the road if I can).

But do you think a flag's a good idea? I'm thinking the flag could work both ways - (a) those people who simply don't realise how close they overtake would consciously drive round the flag, but (:smile: those drivers who are aggressive and have the "get cyclists off the road" attitude might see the flag as a target ...

2. levad

levad Senior Member

I have often thought about a sprung flag sticking out with a carbide point on the end of the stick. Any vehicle that thinks that less room is required would end up with a nice scratch :smile:

3. OP
    OP
    XmisterIS

XmisterIS Purveyor of fine nonsense

What a capital idea! Seriously! :smile:

4. Moodyman

Moodyman Guru

Nice idea, but wouldn't do much for your aerodynamics.

5. snailracer

snailracer Über Member

Ah, but a carbon-fibre aero-profiled pole will actually make you go faster ;).

6. Suppose at least if drivers are treating it like a target, they're targeting 3ft away from the actual rider!

7. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Moderator

I've thought they could be useful but then again there are times when I want to get through a little gap - and they would potentially stick out and potentially snag.

8. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

9. He won't be doing much filtering then,I tuck my bar-end mirror in when I filter even though it's probably OK not to.

10. Armegatron

Armegatron Active Member

Funnily enough I was discussing this with my parents the other day and was thinking of putting something together to try it out with a rear camera observing reactions.

11. jimboalee

jimboalee New Member

Little whip flags mounted on the horizontal were quite popular back in the eighties.

I saw one on the very first Audax I rode.

It was mounted on the seatstay as high as possible without interfering with the leg movement.

It was a three inch red trianglular sheet of flimsy plastic which whipped up and down with the vibration of the bike.

Not seen one for twenty years.

12. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Forget flags, for the best clear space when overtaking, strap a garden fork across your rack*...

Helps if you have an allotment to go to, of course.

*or get a recumbent. A trike is best, because you have a nice metal hub as your widest point, and a special grinding device up front for suddenly opeing doors.;)

13. Trumpettom001

Trumpettom001 Well-Known Member

I always thought permanant parker would be better... just on a carbon aero pole thing...

14. jimboalee

jimboalee New Member

Make one out of styrofoam and cleverly paint it. No need to go carrying 5kg of metalwork around.

15. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

The problem is not the weight, it's the aerodynamics.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice