little help with weight problem(to little)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

photography27

hi, i'm new to the worldof cycling, i have a mtb which i use to commute to work(12 mile round trip). my problem is i am 6ft and abit on the lean side, i would like to put on abit of weight(not fat but muscle) using the cycling, any tips on what to eat would be a great advantage to me.
thanks

Cycling is primarily an endurance activity. You'll build muscle strength (particulary legs), but you won't pack on much bulk.

You need to hit the gym and do some weights work. Low repetitions and highish weights.

Keep with the cycling though, the leaner you are the easier to get a six pack!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nothing wrong with being lean - you'll fly up hills once you get a good base mileage behind you.

You don't mention age, nor weight - if under 30 then don't worry, things will change after..... if over 30 then thank the stars.....

Training will build muscle bulk - most experienced cyclists have large thighs, good core strength, but generally rather 'weedy' in comparison on the top half - you need to ensure core strength is good enough for the leg and cardio system ability....

jimboalee

Eat a good mix - 55% carbs, 45% protein and 10% fats.
Take a multivit.

Install a good sturdy rack and some cheap panniers.
Collect empty 2litre plastic pop bottles.
Fill them full of dirt.
Load them into the panniers.

This will increase the weight you have to accelerate and pull up the hills.

But beware, on decents you will have more inertia, so early braking is required.

Ravenz

jimboalee said:
Eat a good mix - 55% carbs, 45% protein and 10% fats.

be a bit fairer on those who take what they read on forums as 'it must be true' 'cos someone wrote it ....
..will you stop bouncing these figures about without backing them up with references!!!!!

Danny

Legendary Member
Ravenz said:
be a bit fairer on those who take what they read on forums as 'it must be true' 'cos someone wrote it ....
..will you stop bouncing these figures about without backing them up with references!!!!!
Agreed.

photography27 - why do you think you are too lean? Is your body mass index (BMI) significantly below 20. If so you might want to consult your GP or a nutritionist.

I'm 6' and also lean, but I count this as something of a blessing - particularly as I am well over 30.

As others have said cycling will build up your leg muscles, but not your upper body. If that's what you want to do I would suggest you find a gym with a good trainer who can provide you with a suitable exercise programme and probably also advise you on diets.

Personally I would leave jimboalee to cart around plastic bottles filled with dirt.

jimboalee

Surprised only two of you picked up on the addition test.

The conclusion I must come to when reading Ravenz's response is :-

If " 'it must be true' cos someone wrote it" is correct, why oh why does this forum have a 'Health and Fitness' department?

Are we all Doctors or Sports Scientists? No.
Who should we trust to be giving sound advice? Stand up and identify yourself!

When I am concerned about my health, I see my GP, not ask on an on-line forum. The answers here are gleaned off another website or at worst - total crap.

Rant over.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
You don't need to be a Dr or a Sports scientist to give personal opinion/experience on health and fitness.

I'm practically an expert at putting weight on and feel suitably qualified to give advice on this topic. eat more carbs,fat and protein, do less exercise and you will get bigger. If you combine that with lots of exercise you will get bigger and fitter too. :biggrin:

Danny

Legendary Member
Unfortunately it is not always easy to tell if jimboalee is providing sensible advice or coming out with some random figures that sound good.

I think we all could have advised photography27 that if he eats more he'll probably get bigger. My point was really that most people just need to eat sensibly rather than go on special diets, but if you start changing your diet radically to try and put on weight you should take some advice about what you're doing.

Tony Williams

My advice would be to start lifting weights.

Mon: chest, triceps, abs
Wed: biceps, back, abs
Fri: shoulders, legs, abs
(simple as this)

You don't need to start going the gym and you deffo don't need to spend alot of money. Get your self a simple set of barbells. Two small barbells shouldn't cost too much, get yourself a big long one too, although I don't use 'em as much as the two smaller ones, I think an EZBar (werid zigzag ones) are good too. Make sure they allow you too change the amount of weight on them by swapping plates and you have enough plates to make them real light or heavy depending on what you are doing. Even new they aren't too expensive but I am sure you could get 'em used at a carboot sale or collect on eBay.

Eat more, not junk food but for carbs stuff like oats, potatos, noodles, brown bread, rice, pasta. For protein you deffo need meat in there porks and beefs are good, beans, milk too, you could also get protein powder and I DEFFO would if your a veg. and don't eat meat. Plenty of veg. too, you'll need to eat a little more than normal (remember - good foods). You should slowly put on weight you'll gain fat too from foods but muscle since you work out however your in a cycling fourm so my guess is that'll take care of itself.

Plenty of videos of exercises for example let's say biceps can be found on Youtube, Google: Scoobys Workshop <<< good site.

Simple tips: keep good form, even if it's harder and you can't do as many reps - time under tension = win.

30-60 mins should be enough time for working out, you want it so your muscles you worked are felt the following day.

START light. Don't start out lifting heavy. FORM is important - if it's easy, next time stock more weight on, don't go in the deep end here or your bicep exercises will work your legs.

Eat some carbs and drink coffee before working out for that extra pump then protein after.

Measure your progess. Don't weigh yourself often just weekly/monthly. Between building your abdominal muscles and losing more fat you'll have a 6pack (if you don't already). Take pics, maybe every xx weeks?

Top Bottom