1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Little nipples

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by MarkF, 27 Sep 2007.

1. MarkF

MarkF Guru

The muguard spokes that come through the guards themselves....where can I get those little black rubber nipples that cover the sharp tips?xx(

2. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

LBS spares box, bound to have them.

3. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

What he said - if not, I think SKS sell a spares kit that includes them, in fact, you can buy them alone, now I check;
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/category-Mudguard-Spares-643.htm
    (and they're called mudguard stay end caps, to save you the embarrassment of walking into the LBS and going "Have you got little nipples..?")

4. betty swollocks

betty swollocks large member

A much neater job is to cut the mudguard stays very accurately and attach them on the inside of the mudguard attachment thingy, like this:-

33bmg74.jpg

5. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

(Clutches handbag and purses lips a la Les Dawson) ... ooh, get her and her fancy ways.... :biggrin::biggrin:

6. GrahamG

GrahamG Über Member

Are they hard to cut through? Is it a hacksaw job or just some beefy wire cutters?

7. betty swollocks

With a thread entitled 'Little Nipples', it is, of course, entirely predictable
    that Fnaar would latch onto it! :biggrin:

8. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

V. neat indeed. I always have a vague feeling that I may need the extra bit for adjustment/fettling in the future (under what circumstances, I readily admit to having no idea), so I've always just capped mine, personally.

9. betty swollocks

Graham: some old cable cutters and a bit of brute strength does the trick. The ends fly off like shrapnel though, so be careful!

10. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

I'd want the spare, the mudguards getting bent, different tyre

what's on the inside of the fitting? oh so close to the tyre?

11. betty swollocks

Here it is from another angle.
    The little bolt that goes through has a hole on the inside which the stay slots into. The little bolt can then be screwed tight, thereby securing the stay.
    As can be seen, I hope, there's plenty of tyre clearance.

2ecoxhf.jpg

I think that bit of crap on the mudguard, which I've just noticed, is a piece of dried slug...or something

12. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

fair nuff

yours go wider than mine

13. OP
    OP
    MarkF

MarkF Guru

Very neat Betty!

Thanks for the replies.:biggrin: