Little ole wine drinker me (us?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My partner only drinks Merlot and Tea. She likes the Barefoot Merlot best (£6 usually). I've bought her more expensive bottles before as a treat but she always goes back to that one as her favourite

SafetyThird

I'm partial to big rounded red wines, anything from Barossa valley is usually a good bet, Barossa Ink, as mentioned further up the thread, is one I discovered recently and am partial to. Couple of years ago I discovered an app called Vivino, you can take a photo of a wine label and it'll give you reviews of the wine. Handy when you're stood in a supermarket and have no idea what to choose. Once you've drunk some and given them ratings, it'll suggest other wines for you to try. I think it cost a couple of quid but it's certainly saved me money.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Opened this tonight. I do love a Shiraz and this one is spot on👍🏻

albal

Guru
As I mature, I have outgrown the ales of callow youth and progressed onto wine - red wine, proper grown up wine. But alas I know nothing about it so tend to buy according to what bottle has the nicest label. This has led to mixed results, unsurprisingly.

So, let this be a thread where those who know, educate and those who don't know, experiment. Tell us what you're going to imbibe, where you got it (so others can find it) and let us know the results.

Last night I had this £6.50 job from Lidl
View attachment 525672

Very nice it was too. Not overly rich but smooth and very more-ish. Will get again.

Tonight I shall be trying this, an £11 effort from Lidl again.

View attachment 525673
I,d be interested in how that Barolo went down? Decent price.

albal

Guru
IMG_20191204_2126178.jpg

Was in cuneo,Italy last December working. Nipped into a small place for some food, restaurants? Remember them?
Waiter recommendation was this. Nebbiolo. Wow! Lovely and rich, had x3 glasses. They were selling bottles for around £30.

Just found this thread and might dip in more frequently!
I love St Emillion, I’ve got a very nice 1993 Premier Cru ready for daughters 18th later this year.
Do you have more than one bottle?
Where has it been stored the last 20+ years?
Do you know the producer?
I ask these because '93 was a rubbish year in St Emilion generally; it should have probably been drunk years ago, but it might just be ok, depending on your answers. Apologies for the bad news but better knowing now than being disappointed in november.
I could suggest getting something from her birth year (2002) however this was also a rubbish year in europe generally. Apart from Burgundy which, if you can find anything, will be outrageously expensive. Other options could be champagne or dessert wines, again neither will be cheap. Apologies for more bad news.
So, my sensible alternative for your daughter's 18th would be to get a good bottle of something you know she likes*. Talk to your local merchant, they should be the wine equivalent of your LBS - friendly and helpful.

Top Bottom