Little ole wine drinker me (us?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Just found this thread and might dip in more frequently!

Do you have more than one bottle?
Where has it been stored the last 20+ years?
Do you know the producer?
I ask these because '93 was a rubbish year in St Emilion generally; it should have probably been drunk years ago, but it might just be ok, depending on your answers. Apologies for the bad news but better knowing now than being disappointed in november.
I could suggest getting something from her birth year (2002) however this was also a rubbish year in europe generally. Apart from Burgundy which, if you can find anything, will be outrageously expensive. Other options could be champagne or dessert wines, again neither will be cheap. Apologies for more bad news.
So, my sensible alternative for your daughter's 18th would be to get a good bottle of something you know she likes*. Talk to your local merchant, they should be the wine equivalent of your LBS - friendly and helpful.

it's actually a 1995 Chateaux Canon

And I've also got this one for my son (this has turned out to be better vintage, although I paid the same for each)

Both have been wrapped in brown paper and stored in a dark dry cool place. I'll let you know on the 6th November what the Chateaux Canon is like! (she prefers Gin so I'll buy her a nice bottle and we'll guzzle the wine)

Much better, you chose well. The Canon may be a little past its peak but will still be hugely smooth and enjoyable. The Beychevelle will be excellent. (But when are you planning to drink it?).
...stored in a dark dry cool place...
...take care opening, the cork will have dried out, tending to deposit all sorts of cork bits which are just a pain to remove from the glass; it will not affect the taste.
Both something to look forward to. I finished off the last red wine from last century just a couple weeks ago, most enjoyable.

Zinfandel
- grape variety mostly found in USofA (read California), usually full-bodied, high ABV and full on fruit.
- for those of you who like this style of wine, look out for wines made from Primitivo, usually from southern Italy, and have a similar taste profile altho maybe not quite so full on. Reason? They are the same grape variety.

I ordered 6 bottles from the whisky exchange, all under a tenner a bottle I’ve drunk four and they all have been wonderful
The Whisky Exchange is a well-respected retailer offering customers a good range of quality product at fair prices.

As for the wines you chose, I can only comment on the Mezzogiorno. A good producer, maybe a co-operative?, in Sicily. I have not tried this Nero d'Avola (one of Sicily's signature red grapes), however, the Fiano I have drunk at a local restaurant and it is very good value. Fiano is one of southern Italy's good white grape varietals, providing good flavours.

I do love a Shiraz and this one is spot on
Even though this is not Shiraz, you might consider it as an alternative to any beef dish you enjoy.

Which brings me to today's tip. I am not a fan of supermarket's selections generally, as I would always recommend a visit to your local wine merchant. However, if you are willing to pay a little more than rock bottom, you will find it very rewarding to try their own label better quality wines. e.g the Taste The Difference range by Sainsburys, the Tesco Finest range etc. Usually good quality, good value and often a bargain.

2017 Geyerhof Zweigelt
(Kremstal, Austria)
20200704_122245.jpg

For those who like to make purchasing decisions based on labels, what do you think?
Label is not to my taste but I try hard not to be influenced by labels.

Geyerhof is the producer, Zweigelt is the grape variety, from the Kremstal region; have no idea what Stockwerk refers to. Juicy blackcurranty fruit, mid to high acidity with no overpowering tannin (this means it is refreshing and works well with rich or creamy or fatty food), good depth, 12% abv. The opposite of a big, beefy barossa shiraz. If you like pinot noir or cru beaujolais, you would enjoy this. About £13.

It was excellent with lamb (with courgette, red pepper, shallot and mushroom) kebab. Delicious.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
stock = vine
werk = work

2014 Château Vessière
Costières de Nîmes, France

Not the most helpful main label. So, look at the secondary label.
DSCN1464_LI.jpg

This is where a little knowledge is a good thing. The Costières de Nîmes (basically meaning the Nîmes hillsides) appellation covers an area around the southern Rhône Valley bordering Languedoc. Therefore, grape varieties are predominantly Grenache with some or all of Syrah, Mourvedre, Carignan and Cinsault blended in. Very similar to southern Rhône wines like better Côtes du Rhône, Châteauneuf du Pape, Gigondas etc. However, as it is less well known, for a similarly priced bottle, you are likely to get a better wine, offering great value. This was about £12. Absolute bargain. And as the last line states, wonderful with grilled or roasted meat.

The white and rosé from this producer are even better but sadly no longer imported into the UK. The red is now hard to find too. But do look out for wines from this region.

Fancy a crisp, dry white in the warmth of summer? This is one for you:
1596741180355.png

2019 Domaine Morin Langaran Picpoul de Pinet
These are full-flavoured yet dry to bone dry and crisp, refreshing wines from the south of France, a little west of Montpelier. (Note the embossed cross symbol of the Languedoc on the neck.) Grape variety is PIcpoul (sometimes seen as Piquepoul). 13% abv. Superb with anything edible from the sea, also works well as an apero. Around £9.00 to £12.00, this was £10.50. Good value. Highly recommended.

A couple from the weekend
DSCN1461.JPG

White on the left, made from Pecorino grapes. (Yes, there is a cheese of the same name). Terre di Chieti is a sub-region of the Abruzzo region. Like many Italian whites, it might seem a little bland at first but works well with food and has enough body and freshness as an aperitivo. Fine with our tomato, mozzarella and basil salad. Becoming trendy, with good reason!
Red on the left from Montepulciano grapes in Abruzzo, as stated obviously on the label. Much more well-known in the UK and is a good standby for almost anything, if you enjoy red wine. Medium bodied, bold dark fruit flavours, not overly tannic. Drunk on friday with friends accompanying lasagna and again on saturday with marinated lamb and vegetable kebabs. Tasty.
Both around £9.50.
(p.s. 1969 is NOT the vintage! Prob year the Cantina was established.)

Enjoying these tips. Am I likely to see these wines in any supermarkets?
You will not find any of these specific wines from these producers in a supermarket in the UK. However, you should find these styles of wines quite easily. A quick search shows even a pecorino available in waitrose, majestic, sainsburys ('taste the difference' range) and tesco ('finest' range)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
As I mature, I have outgrown the ales of callow youth and progressed onto wine - red wine, proper grown up wine. But alas I know nothing about it so tend to buy according to what bottle has the nicest label. This has led to mixed results, unsurprisingly.

So, let this be a thread where those who know, educate and those who don't know, experiment. Tell us what you're going to imbibe, where you got it (so others can find it) and let us know the results.

Last night I had this £6.50 job from Lidl
View attachment 525672

Very nice it was too. Not overly rich but smooth and very more-ish. Will get again.

Tonight I shall be trying this, an £11 effort from Lidl again.

View attachment 525673

Just come across this thread.

I have been drinking Red Wine for a number of (well, about 30) years.

Now, aged 72.

I am not sure I have learned much, but, on balance, I have enjoyed it (and, still do).

Rioja is probably my favourite, after drinking copious amounts of it whilst living in Spain and working in Gibraltar.

Barolo, I once had a very expensive experience with, but, it all ended well. On a first "date" with my now wife, took her to a rather smart restaurant. Trying to be clever, I asked the wine water to recommend a wine. He recommended an expensive Borolo. Not a situation in which wished to back down, I just hoped my Credit Card was good for it.

During an evenings drinking at a campsite in France, a fellow Brit gave me the tip that any bottle of French Red, with the word "Chateau" on the label, would be at least reasonable quality. I have tested this theory, but, since I have yet to find a bottle of Red which I would classify an "undrinkable", I am uncertain if the "tip" works.

Keep tasting, and, enjoy! ;)

Top Bottom