Little ole wine drinker me (us?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The pleasures of a relaxed xmas day:
xmas 2021.JPG

I would like to comment on 2 and 4 from the left:
2018 T Haag Riesling - a superb wine from an excellent producer, as was his father. Off dry to medium dry (about 4 or 5 on a scale of 1 to 9), it is not cloying because it has refreshing acidity. Delicious as an aperitif, especially if following with plenty more to drink as it s only 8.5% abv! Also excellent with ham, Thai and many spicy dishes. It is one of the wine world's bargains for one of the word's finest wines (many years ago these were considered as good as top notch claret). This was only £15.50 a few years ago. Forget about white wine needing to be dry and give this a go.
2017 Semillon - another bargain. Made by de Bortoli, a well-known and well-regarded Aussie producer, this was made for Tesco and is only £6 for half a bottle. Very sweet, streaking acidity, drink on its own or with fruit desserts or even as an aperitif in the summer.

Yesterday's fun...
pre-NYE 2021 line-up.JPG

from the left:
2016 Court Garden Classic Cuvée Brut, England - a blend of chardonnay, pinot noir and pinot meunier; perhaps my favourite quality english sparkler of the moment, certainly providing better value than most; available directly from the producer or some independent wine stores in the UK.
2018 Domaine des Gerbeaux Pouilly Fuissé Champs Roux, France - 100% chardonnay, often good value from southern burgundy.
NV Nyetimber Classic Cuvée, England - the wine that put english wine on the map, still very good, yet expensive in my opinion.
NV Nyetimber Rosé, England - one of the most overrated and overpriced sparklers I've had the misfortune to drink; even though its well-made, has pleasant redcurrant and cherry flavour, it is short and acidic and you won't get much change from £40, avoid. (And the other 3 drinkers also disliked it).
2013 Nyetimber Blanc de Blancs, England - 100% chardonnay, well-made, good quality wine, brioche notes, not cheap.
2014 Cantina de Negrar Recioto della Valpolicella, Italy - a blend of corvina and molinara grapes but the most important aspect is that the grapes are left to dry for a few months to intensify the flavour. This is rich and sweet, a dessert wine, perfect with anything faintly to do with chocolate. Yum.

Maybe something a little different from all those big heavy xmassy reds:
Gruner.JPG

Gruner Veltliner from Austria. Anyone who likes sauvignon blanc should like this. It is fresh and fruity (like savvy b) but has greater texture, maybe slightly fuller and richer, so is good on its own and great with food. And makes it more interesting to folk like me! Anything you like to eat with savvy b will be fine with this. It has been on an upward trend the last few years, so once available at indies only, it can now be found easily.
These are two good examples, around the £10-12 mark. You will not find a poor example anywhere as the Austrians no longer export rubbish, although supermarket own label bottles may not be as good as slightly more expensive ones.
Usually found in tall, riesling or Alsace type bottles, like the one on the right, but don to let this put you off! I have no idea why the one on the left is in a burgundy shaped bottle, it is the only one I've seen.
I think some producers are experimenting with this grape in the southern hemisphere but have not tasted one.
Highly recommended, try it!

Maybe something a little different from all those big heavy xmassy reds:
View attachment 625379
Gruner Veltliner from Austria. Anyone who likes sauvignon blanc should like this. It is fresh and fruity (like savvy b) but has greater texture, maybe slightly fuller and richer, so is good on its own and great with food. And makes it more interesting to folk like me! Anything you like to eat with savvy b will be fine with this. It has been on an upward trend the last few years, so once available at indies only, it can now be found easily.
These are two good examples, around the £10-12 mark. You will not find a poor example anywhere as the Austrians no longer export rubbish, although supermarket own label bottles may not be as good as slightly more expensive ones.
Usually found in tall, riesling or Alsace type bottles, like the one on the right, but don to let this put you off! I have no idea why the one on the left is in a burgundy shaped bottle, it is the only one I've seen.
I think some producers are experimenting with this grape in the southern hemisphere but have not tasted one.
Highly recommended, try it!
+1 on that recommendation ^_^ This £7.99 one from Waitrose is great for the cash.
1641576978577.png

It has been 360 days since anyone added to this thread, I have been negligent. So going to show some bottles from last year that were of interest for one reason or another.

First up, july 1st is canada day, so it had to be this:
Hidden Bench Riesling 220702.JPG

2017 Hidden Bench Riesling - From Ontario, Canada. Delicious, refreshing, great flavour with a steely minerality (this is a good thing!). Organic. Still very young, would keep for at least another 7 years, but not in my home. Only 10.5%. About C$25.00. (apx £15.00). Not available in UK.

Others in july:

2020 Rickety Bridge Chenin Blanc
Rickety Bridge CB 220723.jpg

2020 Fontan Tattoo Blanc
Fontan Tattoo Blanc 220724.jpg

2020 Guillaume Aurèle Rosé
GA Rosé 220724.jpg

Rickety Bridge - from South Africa, where the best chenin blanc is made outside of the Loire Valley. Much is cheap 'n' cheerful, some are very good. This was full bodied and well-rounded. Very enjoyable. £11.50.

Fontan - from Cotes de Gascogne, SW France. A classic case of the wine not living up to the label ! A blend of sauvignon blanc and gros manseng (GM). I am not a huge fan of savvy b, so bought this because I thought the GM would to its character. It did, but not enough!. Disappointing and overpriced. £11.50

Rosé - from Languedoc, S France. Made in the Provençal style. Light salmon pink, soft with good body and zesty. A blend of syrah, cinsault and grenache, all you would find in a provence pink. Excellent as an apero and with any summer food, like my fave Salade Niçoise! Very good. £9.25

PK99

Legendary Member
The Beychevelle will opened Feb 2023

Not long now....

PK99

Legendary Member
Why have I only just found this thread.....

A recent indulgence bought 10 years ago, opened for dinner with fellow winos...

Reputedly one of the best sweet whites in the World. And on this tasing, I would agree.
20230102_121526.jpg

August comes around and plenty of fresh fruit around. A perfect end to a meal.

2011 Domaine de Durban Beaumes de Venise
Durban BdVenise 220819.jpg

Muscat is the grape, from the southern Rhone Valley. Intense grape flavour. (Bizarrely, muscat wine is the only grape that tastes of grapes!). Excellent as an apero and as a dessert wine. Durban is a top prodcuer and also make red Beaumes de Venise. (White or pink is clasified as Cotes du Rhone). An underrated wine these days, it used to be the only sweet wine on a restaurant list in the UK. £9.25.

2007 Gulfi Neroblejo
Gulfi nerojblejo 220903.jpg

From Sicily and one of the island's top producers, made with 100% Nero d'Avola, the red grape of the island. Matured in new oak barriques, fresh and bold, not overpowering in spite of 14% abv, complex and very long. Reflects its sense of place. No signs of age at all. Quite superb. Sadly my last bottle. A bargain at £17.50. (Bought 10 years ago, so likely to cost much more these days!).

2018 Le Roi Boeuf

220922  2018 Le Roi Boeuf, IGP Landes @ Calais.jpg

Had this in a lovely little restaurant in Calais in late september. Asking the staff if it was any good, it was recommended not just something they had bought too much of and were trying to offload to unsuspecting tourists. Asked for a sample which they gladly provided. An unusual blend of merlot, tannat and cabernet franc from the Landes region which is near Bordeaux. It would be perfect with Boeuf en Daube. Very good.

Bought 10 years ago, opened for dinner with fellow winos...

Reputedly one of the best sweet whites in the World. And on this tasting, I would agree.
Indeed. Not only is it one of the best dessert wines of the world, it is one of the best wines of the world. A classic. I am sure you would say it was not too young. However, it would have continued to develop and in another 20 years would be even better! Am glad you and your mates enjoyed and appreciated it...wish I could have joined you!

I have these to enjoy, the Susana Balbo Tradicion is a lovely Malbec, the Zuccardi Q I have yet to try.
Cheers everyone 🍷
Susanna Blabo is not only regarded as one of the best winemakers in Argentina, also highly regarded around the world. That should be lovely.
Zuccardi make good wines and was familiar with many of them about 5 to 7 years ago. Very good, just not to my taste.

PK99

Legendary Member
Indeed. Not only is it one of the best dessert wines of the world, it is one of the best wines of the world. A classic. I am sure you would say it was not too young. However, it would have continued to develop and in another 20 years would be even better! Am glad you and your mates enjoyed and appreciated it...wish I could have joined you!

Yep, it would have continued to develop. But, as with some Vintage port I have under the stairs (north facing flank wall = good temperature) I want to drink it not bequeath it!

I served the Constance with Tarte Tatin and Roquefort - a Homage to Napoleon and my Lancashire heritage.*

*Apple pie without cheese, is like a kiss without a squeeze.

Top Bottom