Little ole wine drinker me (us?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Two for the price of one this week Which is a good thing because the first is silly money.

2014 Magnien Gevrey-Chambertin
View attachment 686813
Coq au vin on the menu, so checked the 'cellar' and thought it was about time it should be drunk. I gave up buying this stuff years ago because I could not afford it. Shame as it is probably my favourite red! Tried cheaper options but they do not come close to decent pinot noir from burgundy.
Bloody hell, this was good. Amazing aroma. Ethereal is my best description. And so, so long. Superb. Just reminded me what I miss. Hey ho. Another gift, so do not know price, it would not be cheap.

NV Piccini Memoro
View attachment 686814
Lasagna for supper so quaffable Italian required. Have recently discovered this, available form Tesco or Sainsburys. A clever wine. Digging around, I found it is a blend of 40% Primitivo from Puglia (part dried grapes), 30% Montepulciano from Abruzzo (aged for 12 months in cask), 20% Nero d'Avola from Sicily and 10% merlot from Veneto. So cross regional blend, almost unheard of in europe and taking advantage of new euro rules. As a result, no mention on labels of where it is from nor vintage - because the montepulciano will always be a year older than the other varieties. Dark fruit, good grip, medium to full bodied, very good value. 14% abv. Only £8.

Vivino gives the pinot at £60 for 2009.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Vivino gives the pinot at £60 for 2009.

Bloody Nora!

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I had this Red recommended, bank holiday weekend in the Yorkshire Dales so this is coming with us.

IMG_2597.jpeg

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Back to the old plonk from the local shop again, but, it has won things, so it can't just be me who likes this robust red:

Attachments

• IMG20230504001940.jpg
    IMG20230504001940.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG20230504001959.jpg
    IMG20230504001959.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG20230504002006.jpg
    IMG20230504002006.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG20230504002015.jpg
    IMG20230504002015.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG20230504002025.jpg
    IMG20230504002025.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 2
Back to the old plonk from the local shop again, but, it has won things, so it can't just be me who likes this robust red:

Doogie - this is better than 'old plonk'. It is quite clever presentation in that it is made to look like a rioja. And it is also made to taste like rioja. Which it probably does. At £6 it is very good value. Enjoy!

As for winning things, salt and pinch come to mind. The gradings on these competitions tend to be: trophy, gold, silver, bronze and highly commended. Which means that very few, maybe, 10% of wines entered, go home without a prize. So, winning things is almost meaningless, unless it is a 'Trophy' or 'Gold' winner.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Doogie - this is better than 'old plonk'. It is quite clever presentation in that it is made to look like a rioja. And it is also made to taste like rioja. Which it probably does. At £6 it is very good value. Enjoy!

I am afraid I know very little about it all other than I like it and it seems slightly more upmarket than the other cheap bottles they sell.

As for it being 'made' to taste like Rioja, please explain, is it the oak barrel or is it just filled with chemicals/nasties?

As for winning things, salt and pinch come to mind. The gradings on these competitions tend to be: trophy, gold, silver, bronze and highly commended. Which means that very few, maybe, 10% of wines entered, go home without a prize. So, winning things is almost meaningless, unless it is a 'Trophy' or 'Gold' winner.

I only mentioned that as an aside that someone other than myself out there must like it, meaningless as it may be! 😆

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru
Thanks. Vegan, eh? Did not know you were now vegan, Adam!!!
I try....but I like Cheese to much 😁
The sort of thing Spain and Lidl do ok at. I would guess a little rustic and fine with BBQ or pizza. Does it feel like 14% abv?! (especially after you've had half a bottle).
Feels strong enough,although I'm to sure I can tell the difference once above 13% !
Lovely to drink though ...almost a bit too nice ! Highly recommended in our house.

I am afraid I know very little about it all other than I like it

As for it being 'made' to taste like Rioja, please explain, is it the oak barrel or is it just filled with chemicals/nasties?
Liking it is the best reason for drinking not only this, but anything.

My pleasure. It will not be filled with chemicals/nasties, although it might have more sulphur than absolutely necessary; it might filtered more than absolutely necessary but not using 'traditional' animal filters to keep the vegans happy - are you vegan BTW?
Yes, it has been aged in american oak, the traditional signature of rioja maturation, with a distinctive vanilla-ish, toasty flavour that is easily discernable. It has also been left to mature for at least 3, maybe 5, years I would guess which is rioja like and is generally a good thing. Remarkable for an inexpensive wine.

I only mentioned that as an aside that someone other than myself out there must like it, meaningless as it may be! 😆
Those stickers are very popular with marketeers because they sell more bottles!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Liking it is the best reason for drinking not only this, but anything.

My pleasure. It will not be filled with chemicals/nasties, although it might have more sulphur than absolutely necessary; it might filtered more than absolutely necessary but not using 'traditional' animal filters to keep the vegans happy - are you vegan BTW?
Yes, it has been aged in american oak, the traditional signature of rioja maturation, with a distinctive vanilla-ish, toasty flavour that is easily discernable. It has also been left to mature for at least 3, maybe 5, years I would guess which is rioja like and is generally a good thing. Remarkable for an inexpensive wine.

Those stickers are very popular with marketeers because they sell more bottles!
Thanks, I am not a Vegan although I have dabbled with vegetarianism before. The Vegan thing is merely co - incidence.

As for age, I first came across it in 2017/18 and it was dated as being 2011 at the time. It is now at 2016, so yes, aged for a good 6 or so years.

I'll enjoy, it is a robust flavour, but for the price (£7.99), one cannot complain!

Thanks.
This is currently our go-to everyday red. If you already like Portuguese wine you’ll recognise the flavours. If you’re not familiar with them it’s worth a try. Sainsbury’s £7.50 or often £6.50

View attachment 688304

View attachment 688305

I used to know a guy who drove the trams in Porto, so that is strangely amusing!

A favourite of mine , robust enough to go with spicy / hot dishes.

Thanks, I find my taste buds have been dulled by years of alcobooze, so I am never quite sure how others take to things I like☺️

Top Bottom