Little ole wine drinker me (us?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
currently drinking this from Sainsburys taste the difference range.Partner bought me a few bottles for my birthday,with the cycling theme in mind obviously

img_20230807_205207534-jpg.jpg

Hope you are enjoying it. Like many from the southern Rhone area, wines from Ventoux region can be very good, very expensive and very good value. Or any combo of the three. I have been to a number of producers in the area (see below!) and am not familiar with this one. I would guess it is a co-op but I have not come cross it. I have been reluctant to try this one because I do not want to be disappointed! It is also a rubbish label.

I have posted this before somewhere. The 3 on the right were superb Ventoux wines. Bedoin was only 5 km away and the summit is in the middle of the picture!
full.jpg

Last edited:
could do worse than pick up a bottle of “Porta 6” from Lisbon
Personal taste obvs, disagree with this. It is very similar to Sainsbury's own label Lisboa red. I find both far too sweet these days, the Porta one being more sugary. Sadly, with entry level wines, producers are leaving too much sugar unfermented and/or using very, very ripe grapes. Majority of consumers seem to prefer these confections. It has also been a recent victim of price creep and is now £8 a bottle. Not good value IMO.

Big yellow tram on the label, cant miss i
Very true!

Im enjoying my first homebrew wine for a long time, I have Banana and a Carrot. The Banana has a very strong taste, but the Carrot is stronger ABV. I'm going to find it difficult to save a few bottles to mature!

Just started an Elderflower, with hand picked blossum someone has donated. Fermentation started slowly, I have a feeling it may stop as my yeast is quite old so have some new yeast on order in case it gets stuck and I need to restart

Its been a while, so a few thoughts on one of my favourite underrated grape varieties:

CHENIN BLANC

11730-eb15f99a484d303a4cf099201cf6105a.jpg

2022 Simonsvlei, S Africa, 13% abv - available in my house year round, is a great aperitif. Zesty with enough body to provide interest and fine with food, a good all-rounder. £9.00
2021 Les Plantagenets, Saumur, Loire Valley, 12% - classical french chenin from its home. A streak of acidity makes it wonderful apero and also good with many fish dishes. £9.25
2021 Brédif Vouvray, Loire Valley, 12.5% - from a few km upriver from Saumur, has had a few months on its lees so is richer and rounder. Lovely, lovely wine. Would be happy to drink this with almost anything bar red meat. £21.00

Dolorous Edd

I'm sure you're right about Chenin Blanc, but it's had some pretty unpleasant flack over the years. Didn't Oz Clarke (and the glorious but not wholly reliable Bluffer's Guide) once describe it as smelling like vomit? Under-rated, as you say.

Summer is back - yay! This means going back to more thirst quenching whites for me. These are what I've enjoyed this summer:

Gavi, Barbacoa, Picpoul.JPG

2022 Finest Gavi, Italia, 12½% abv - part of Tesco's Finest range, a very good example and good value. Made from Cortese grapes. Fresh, crisp, juicy fruit. Excellent apero, works with most salads and wonderful with grilled fish e.g sea bass. Much better than ordinary, ubiquitous pinot grigio. Was £8 a couple of months ago, now £9.75 with inflation creep and increased duty. Still worth the £ IMO.
2021 La Barbacoa Verdejo, España, 12% - Verdejo is the grape, used in whites from Rueda, this is from northern Spain where Albariño is king. Again, nicely crisp and with a richness and more character than the more neutral Italian. Awful label IMO! Only £8.25.
2022 Ormarine Cuvée Conchylia, Picpoul de Pinet, 12½% - I recommended this AOP 3 years ago, this is another good one (they are rarely poor). Good depth, pleasing balance of fruit and acidity, classic hint of salinity. Very dry. Grapes harvested at night to preserve freshness. About £9.00/10.00.

Last edited:
I don't drink white sorry....so back to tonights offering

And?

Marinated lamb on a bed of roasted mediterranean veggies on the menu so fancied trying something a little different.

230819 Pelham Baco N.JPG

2020 Henry of Pelham Baco Noir, Ontario, Canada 13.5% - very deep red, strong very ripe dark plum and blackcurrant, rich, smooth and long. Very well made. However, I ended up being slightly disappointed, it was a touch too fruity and sweet for me (one of my current bugbears in red wine!) and felt like wine making by numbers. If given blind, I would have probably guessed a rich merlot, probably californian, priced at £12, not the £16 I paid! Oh yes, Baco Noir is a hybrid variety, unlikely to be found in europe these days but is popular in ontario and new york for its hardyness.

PK99

Legendary Member
Marinated lamb on a bed of roasted mediterranean veggies on the menu so fancied trying something a little different.

View attachment 706381

2020 Henry of Pelham Baco Noir, Ontario, Canada 13.5% - very deep red, strong very ripe dark plum and blackcurrant, rich, smooth and long. Very well made. However, I ended up being slightly disappointed, it was a touch too fruity and sweet for me (one of my current bugbears in red wine!) and felt like wine making by numbers. If given blind, I would have probably guessed a rich merlot, probably californian, priced at £12, not the £16 I paid! Oh yes, Baco Noir is a hybrid variety, unlikely to be found in europe these days but is popular in ontario and new york for its hardyness.

Interesting.

Any other Canadian suggestions - I'm in Quebec and BC for 4 weeks very soon.

Just back from a very pleasant sojourn in Alsace where a few tasty bottles were drunk:
Als vins @ Schwendi 231001.jpg
from left to right:
NV Schillé-Gisie Crémant d'Alsace €11 - refreshing, zesty, perfect aperitif, bargain
a Pinot Gris - cannot recall producer or other details, so it must have been better than ok; at a local pub with supper
2018 Pierre Sparr Riesling Sol Schist €12 - brought home, expecting it to be good
2016 Schillé-Gisie Riesling Neustatt €30/€12 - superb, lovely with expertly cooked trout; first price in restaurant, second to take away; super bargain
2015 Schillé-Gisie Riesling Neustatt €14 - again superb, with ham and cheese baguette; super bargain

The Schillé-Gisie wines are only available from this establishment, either to consume in the restaurant, on the terrace, in one's room or to take away. The family own the hotel and vineyards. Which partly explains why they are so inexpensive. I was not expecting them to be of high quality so I was very pleasantly surprised in more than one way. Highly recommended if ever in the area - excellent place to take the bike for a ride.

Apologies for poor image quality, must have been taken after the crémant and riesling!

Interesting.

Any other Canadian suggestions

Of course, a good method to try wines from any region is to buy from auction. If there is an auctioneer near you, ask if they have any booze sales. The hammer price on gin and whisky was phenomenally cheap!

I acquired these yesterday:
Ca Lot 107 231204.JPG

Ca Lot 188 231204.JPG

Average cost of top lot was £9.50 and £11.50 for the bottom. Current retail in canada is C$623. Am quite pleased but will see if its the bargain I imagine when I drink them, will update here.

The Hopetown in top lot was tried last night. I would not pay £9 for it! Am expecting all the others to be significantly better. The 3 on the left in bottom lot are all from BC.

Top Bottom