Live ammunition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I just found 3 live rounds on my wifes coffee table, I am sure they are fine as long as nothing exciting happens, but I would like a second opinion from someone who knows about these things @Drago???
I wonder about safety and if there are legal issues, she does not have a firearms license ( or even a firearm ) I'm in the US

Attachments

• 20201123_165707.jpg
    20201123_165707.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20201123_165711.jpg
    20201123_165711.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 14

midlife

Guru
Hollow point? The UK and US are a bit different when it comes to gun control. It would be illegal for me to be in possession of those if real.

Drago

Legendary Member
Physically the should be fine, provided you don't stick then in a vice and light them off with a hammer, or chuck them on a fire. You can use a pair of pliers to pull the bullet from the cartridge and empty them of powder if you're worried. But unless youre being really daft they're quite safe to handle.

In the UK its an offence to possess without the requisite firearms certificate, but I don't know what your local laws may say. Handguns were banned here a while back, so you wouldn't legally get an FAC with slots for pistol ammo, although you could fire them from a suitably chambered rifle.

Dum dums, nice! Banned under the Hague Convention so the military can't use them, but the treaty doesn't apply to the police, who are happy to use them. The one on the right looks like a semi auto cartridge, possibly 9mm or .40 S&W. The two on the left are possibly .38 Special or even .357 Magnum revolver carts - big old rounds that'd more likely tear a limb off than drill a neat hole.

Last edited:
Physically the should be fine, provided you don't stick then in a vice and light them off with a hammer, or chuck them on a fire. You can use a pair of pliers to pull the bullet from the cartridge and empty them of powder if you're worried. But unless youre being really daft they're quite safe to handle.

In the UK its an offence to possess without the requisite firearms certificate, but I don't know what your local laws may say. Handguns were banned here a while back, so you wouldn't legally get an FAC with slots for pistol ammo, although you could fire them from a suitably chambered rifle.

Dum dums, nice! Banned under the Hague Convention so the military can't use them, but the treaty doesn't apply to the police, who are happy to use them. The one on the right looks like a semi auto cartridge, possibly 9mm or .40 S&W. The two on the left are possibly .38 Special or even .357 Magnum revolver carts - big old rounds that'd more likely tear a limb off than drill a neat hole.
Interesting! Thanks, I shall look in to the local laws but I can't imagine them ever being discovered by the cops, unless as others have suggested she kills me with them

As an aside
I went to an open evening at a local rifle club a few years ago
kind of a have a go at shooting thingy

it is the UK - so very safe and limited

had a good time - reminded me that I am rubbish at shooting because my hand tend to twitch a bit

anyway - bloke I was talking to was saying he went to a competition a while ago
guns were kept in a locked metal box in the box etc etc - did the competition and went OK
As usual - a few bullets misfired - normal procedure is dump the failed round and you get an extra shot at the end of the sequence
apparently it is normal to pocket the bullet to keep it seperate
happened a few times that night as they did quite well and reached the final shoot off

anyway - on the way home they were due to pick up a relative at the local major International airport
flight was a bit delayed so they went for a coffee
paid by cash but needed some change to get the price right - so put his hand in his pocket and pulled out all the coins and turned it out on the counter
which included 8-10 bullets
in an airport
he grabber them and put them back and sorted out the cash

they drank they coffee with their hand in VERY clear view - just in case

but nothing happened

dunno if the person serving at the coffee place was totally spaced out - or so scared she froze - or just badly trained
but yea gods they were lucky

anyway - just saying

on closer inspection the one on the right says MM 380 AUTO I think, don,t have my good glasses.
The one on the left says PMC 38 SPL
The one in the middle says PMC 357 MAG
I'm impressed that you could tell from the rubbish photo, you know your ammo alright

Drago

Legendary Member
on closer inspection the one on the right says MM 380 AUTO I think, don,t have my good glasses.
The one on the left says PMC 38 SPL
The one in the middle says PMC 357 MAG
I'm impressed that you could tell from the rubbish photo, you know your ammo alright
And to be fair the 380 round is physically 9.2mm in diameter, so I was close on that one.

Top Bottom